Yeti GOBOX Collection

Javelina Tips?

SherpaPhil

I got lucky and drew a tag for javelina in Big Bend Ranch State Park in Texas, just outside of Big Bend National Park. It looks like 400 square miles of beautiful country perfect for glassing. I've been reading up about hunting them online, but thought I'd see if any of you could offer any tips. Do calls really work? Anything about javelina that's different than any other animals in that landscape? Thanks!

I've killed one, so am far from an expert. We had a call with us, but didn't have any success with it. They are harder to spot than to shoot IME. So be prepared to spend some time with your optics.

That part of Texas is one place I dearly want to visit. Seems way cool.

I have never been down there but I do remember other stories from HuntTalkers. Just a reminder that there isn't a nearby minimart to stock up on powdered donuts.....you need to be prepared to be self sufficient up to and including spare water, gas and tire repair.

Enjoy the adventure, it should be epic

I've been down in the big bend before. Open country, great for glassing. Javelina are smaller than deer so you'll have to spend more time being the glass. Once you spot them you shouldn't have any problems getting close for a shot.Ive tried using calls before but have had no success with it.

I also drew a TX javelina tag but for a different wma.

Back