New Southern California Hunter

Austin E

Hello all,

I'm Austin and am just getting into big game hunting. I grew up fishing for steelhead and salmon, and trout in the pnw. None of my direct family hunts so that wasn't really in my life. I fish offshore fairly often down here now.

A few years ago I bought my little brother a basic air rifle for his birthday, and that is how I got here. Upgrading from that to a .25 pcp air rifle, and now to a 308 I recently bought.
I have hunted small game for the last 4 years with my pcp air rifle: ground squirrels, pigeon, rats, coyotes, etc. I have permission/access to 6 farms in the orange county area that I hunt with a few friends to help with the overpopulation of those critters. About 6 months ago I stumbled upon the meateater podcast and have no listened to all of those, and most of Randy's, which led me here.

I have my license and tags for d15, which I've been scouting at least once a week for the last month, and have a bear scouted out I've seen 4 times in d14. I'm just here to learn and figure out how this all works. I have onxmaps now and have been using that, especially the roadless areas feature as there are just too many people here in socal to hunt anywhere near roads but beyond that I'm still trying to learn what to look for when scouting; either digitally or on foot. Look forward to reading the stories you share and hopefully meeting some of you at some point.

For my profession I run a few drug and alcohol rehab centers throughout OC and LA and so getting away for long periods of time is not feasible, especially if I don't have cell service.

If anyone needs a partner, someone to help pack out, etc, I'm more than willing if you don't mind me picking your brain and learning from you.
Here are some pictures of hunts we've done with my air rifle, as that's the closest thing I have to being one of you.

JE7FX1P.jpg

p1nSdKa.jpg

btKtSzl.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

I didn't know we had any farms here in OC. But good on you for finding them and getting permission to hunt them. I used to shoot pigeons and ducks off the dairy ponds in Chino before they built homes atop heaping piles of fly infested urea saturated cow dung. Good times. :)

Good shot on the coyote. It has a beautiful coat.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back