WTF B&C? National Monument Review

Sounds like B&C needs a donation.Again you guys are too funny.Speculation is what some of you do best.I'm going to go out on a limb and say they most likely do have some inside imfo or they wouldn't have put themselves out there like this.Everything a few of you put on here about Zone is all speculation because you don't the the R in front of his name.Then when he went out and signed access into a landlocked piece of NM public land you say nothing.I wish that posts like this were shut down as it's 100% political.If you show proof of all the destruction he's causing rather then partisan speculation I'd be interested in listening to what you have to say.It's almost a daily thing for you Ben,gets old

Sounds like B&C needs a donation.Again you guys are too funny.Speculation is what some of you do best.I'm going to go out on a limb and say they most likely do have some inside imfo or they wouldn't have put themselves out there like this.Everything a few of you put on here about Zone is all speculation because you don't the the R in front of his name.Then when he went out and signed access into a landlocked piece of NM public land you say nothing.I wish that posts like this were shut down as it's 100% political.If you show proof of all the destruction he's causing rather then partisan speculation I'd be interested in listening to what you have to say.It's almost a daily thing for you Ben,gets old

So you're saying you don't wake up every day wondering how Zinke is going to ruin your life?

Makes me think they have read the review...

Between hunting and my career in federal government, it seems more and more of my life is subject to the chaos of politics.

Im surprised this didn't mention how saguaro national monument's plan causing a plummet in desert Bighorn populations due to banning maintenance on water catchments in 39E in AZ

I think 'National Monuments are not always good for sportsman' and ' national monuments are usually very good for sportsman' are both equally true.

'

Im surprised this didn't mention how saguaro national monument's plan causing a plummet in desert Bighorn populations due to banning maintenance on water catchments in 39E in AZ

I think 'National Monuments are not always good for sportsman' and ' national monuments are usually very good for sportsman' are both equally true.

'

Man can and has improved habitat in many areas. Burns, chaining, water development, grazing, reseeding are all tools used to improve habitat and wildlife numbers.

Good for B&C, Turkey Foundation and Sheep Foundation to question designation of vast areas as NM's. "Smallest area possible to protect antiquities" doesn't mean 1.2M acres of Southeast Utah affecting good wildlife and habitat management. RMEF has supported habitat improvement since creation and I hope they also question these vast NM designations without guarantee new management plans allow propagation of wildlife and habitat improvement.

My fear with National Monuments is that eventually they become the first step towards the lands become a National Park like the Sand Dunes and Black Canyon here in Colorado did. Also Dinosaur National Monument doesn't allow hunting in GMU 10.

Man can and has improved habitat in many areas. Burns, chaining, water development, grazing, reseeding are all tools used to improve habitat and wildlife numbers.

Good for B&C, Turkey Foundation and Sheep Foundation to question designation of vast areas as NM's. "Smallest area possible to protect antiquities" doesn't mean 1.2M acres of Southeast Utah affecting good wildlife and habitat management. RMEF has supported habitat improvement since creation and I hope they also question these vast NM designations without guarantee new management plans allow propagation of wildlife and habitat improvement.

What folks are expressing in terms of honest concerns are all administrative in nature, and can easily be overcome through the planning process, or through the proclamation.I'm all for congress setting lands aside as opposed to executive fiat, but as we've seen for over 100 years congress often fails to act (even going back to the grand canyon NM). the Antiquities Act has always been controversial, and has always been proven to be effective in ensuring the conservation of our public lands.

There are many ways to improve habitat within protected landscapes. The key is ensuring that it happens, and that the planning process includes these options. That means public participation in the planning process rather than simply thinking that Government will do the right thing.

My fear with National Monuments is that eventually they become the first step towards the lands become a National Park like the Sand Dunes and Black Canyon here in Colorado did. Also Dinosaur National Monument doesn't allow hunting in GMU 10.

That takes an act of congress, and cannot be done through the Antiquities Act. Getting a bill through to establish a new National Park given the current make up of the House, and this administration is very unlikely.

Every time I see this on my public lands I send another email in support of more NMs. I can't help it, it's a guttural reaction.
Jonah-aerial.jpg

While hunting is my favorite hobby, I would prefer to have intact wide open landscapes full of wild critters, and while I acknowledge that, as BF pointed out, management can get trickier/harder under NM designation, that's something can be addressed during the NM creation.

Wonder what the WSF thinks of Wilderness and bighorn sheep management within Wilderness.

Can they sell a tag to a rich guy so him and his posse can put another sheep in a trophy room, if so its probably something they support.

That takes an act of congress, and cannot be done through the Antiquities Act. Getting a bill through to establish a new National Park given the current make up of the House, and this administration is very unlikely.

But we know that the power will shift back to the other party one day. I could support monument designation if there were assurances that even if they one day get upgraded to National Parks, hunting would remain, and hunting would be allowed on Monuments where it currently isn't allowed. There is no reason why Dinosaur National Monument shouldn't allow hunting, its huge! The Antiquities Act needs some major overhauling, its too much power for one person to have.

But we know that the power will shift back to the other party one day. I could support monument designation if there were assurances that even if they one day get upgraded to National Parks, hunting would remain, and hunting would be allowed on Monuments where it currently isn't allowed. There is no reason why Dinosaur National Monument shouldn't allow hunting, its huge! The Antiquities Act needs some major overhauling, its too much power for one person to have.

I don't have a problem with including hunting in areas traditionally hunted under NM designation unless it undermines other values or the resource dictates otherwise. That issue can be taken up during the drafting of any bill that would establish a Natonal Park and citizens have the opportunity to engage in the process well before drafting as well so there's a coalition effort that focuses on collaborative resolution to issues before it even becomes a bill.

Personally, I don't think the act needs overhauling. I do think people need to participate in the process more rather than expect the Gov't to do it all. We also wouldn't be using the AA nearly as much if Congress would quit pettifogging and actually advance many proposals they've stonewalled in favor of political gamesmanship - both sides.

The Rocky Mountain Front Heritage Act broke a 30 year drought in wilderness designation in Montana because we put together a coalition that politicians and their staffs couldn't say no too. It's tough work, and it takes time, but the outcomes is much more sustainable and much less controversial.

pet·ti·fog·ging
ˈpedēˌfôɡiNG/
adjective
adjective: pettifogging
placing undue emphasis on petty details.
"I'm working on the broad business vision here, not pettifogging little details"

To save others the effort...

Oak,

did NoHarleyYet post on this thread. Just looked at the last post and was once my first assumption. I will look at the posts and see. Just had a chuckle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back