MT trail camera law change

MAYBE some of these " hunters " should mount the TRAIL CAMERAS TO THEIR FRONT BUMPER !!!!!!!

My new company is doing R&D for a new heat seeking missile to attach to drones if it takes place. We started out with the original Hellfire missiles but with all the early season fire concerns we had to modify it with a nonflammable explosive. Still working to minimize meat damage....

Now that is what I am talking about :hump:

My new company is doing R&D for a new heat seeking missile to attach to drones if it takes place. We started out with the original Hellfire missiles but with all the early season fire concerns we had to modify it with a nonflammable explosive. Still working to minimize meat damage....

And we thought lighted nocks was a tough issue.

;)

I usually set a half dozen out in the mtns on national forest all summer. Takes me 2 days of hiking to pull the SDRam cards. I've never photographed a person on any of them, all summer while in places I hope to catch elk or bears around. Last year, I didn't make it up to those areas until mid-October to grab my cameras. Never had an elk on any of them after September 10. I totally expect any DB walking by at any time, summer or not, is going to steal or bust them regardless of if they're there hanging during "legal" time or not. It's fun to use trail cameras and see what kind of photos you can get. Cracks me up that so many guys are so irate about using them.

I always thought it was silly that you would be in violation of the law for having a cam out for deer or elk because antelope archery was going on, on the other side of the state. And even more silly since FWP didn't enforce it consistently as you can see by them posting cool trail camera pictures they would get from citizens of mountain lions, grizzly bears, etc. that were daye stamped during a hunting season.

I always thought it made no sense either to not allow them if the only thing open was goose season for instance, but still no reason to allow their use during the normal big game season. They could have outlawed them from September thru November and April-May imo and I wouldn't have any issue but what they've done is BS.

I have no problem with the new changes, but I won't put my cameras out during hunting season. I know some jack wagon will just come along and either steal it or shoot it.

Critergitter and I set some out in August and went to pull them and some dirtbag stole the cards from ours and another guys. I'm not sure what the fascination is with stealing cards.....why stop there why not check and see if the trucks are locked or not and loot them as well.
They are really fun to have and makes you feel like a kid at Christmas when you're hiking in to check them.

interesting thread. First I am new here so go easy on me.:rolleyes: Is the adversion to trail cams in general due to elk and mule deer being easier to pattern?
Where I live it is very common place to run trail cameras year round, and I have never heard anyone elude to the fact that doing so would be unethical. I do have to agree having one transmit a pic to you while in the field is not ethical and diminishes the hunt part of hunting.

Seriously, I am a south easternerer..lol....like Ga. Its a different world I know. Near everyone runs cameras here throughout the year. I personally run cameras for a number of reasons, and I have 8 total. Hunting here is much different than out west. I guess you could say everything is scaled down and thicker. I can't rightly say a trail cam pic has ever been a reason for success on any particular animal for me. If fact I have only taken one buck that I know I had a picture of previously, and he was taken over 400 yards from where the pic was taken. Again think thick like 30 yard shots...lol different world I know. I use cameras to monitor a stand I have set for deer, If I get pics of a person in an area...I will move the stand. I have used cameras almost more to monitor human or vehicle traffic on an area here as much as animals...lol placed high in a tree over a road or trail I can see how much use an area is getting and nobody finds my cameras set that way.

I can't say why some people have a fit over cameras, I don't like cameras that send your images to your cell but a simple camera is fine, I use a couple of them most of the year. Luckily I've never had anybody steal my cameras but then I go places that aren't popular.

It's sad how pitifully poor reading comprehension has become, but then again, writing skills are pretty bad too so I guess it makes sense that people have a hard time understanding the written word nowadays. I don't see where the regulations stop you from using a camera during the hunting season unless it can transmit the pictures remotely. I guess, if you wanted to force a specific intent on the purpose of the regulations (preventing any cameras from being used during the season) you could say that simply providing a picture of an animal having been in the area is relaying information about the animal's movement to the hunter but I'm not sure that they meant that. It would have been far better if at that meeting of the "experts" they had simply said:

'any game camera can be used during the season as long as it can not transmit pictures remotely to another device that is more than 10 feet away', or
'no game cameras can be used during the hunting season'.

Why is it so hard for the Montana FWP to write simple, easy to understand regulations? How hard is it to come right to the point? I always get the feeling that we have a bunch of self impressed "experts" that are more concerned with trying to impress everyone with their over complicated rhetoric rather than just being servants of the people that want us to understand the rules.

I can't say why some people have a fit over cameras, I don't like cameras that send your images to your cell but a simple camera is fine, I use a couple of them most of the year. Luckily I've never had anybody steal my cameras but then I go places that aren't popular.

It's sad how pitifully poor reading comprehension has become, but then again, writing skills are pretty bad too so I guess it makes sense that people have a hard time understanding the written word nowadays. I don't see where the regulations stop you from using a camera during the hunting season unless it can transmit the pictures remotely. I guess, if you wanted to force a specific intent on the purpose of the regulations (preventing any cameras from being used during the season) you could say that simply providing a picture of an animal having been in the area is relaying information about the animal's movement to the hunter but I'm not sure that they meant that. It would have been far better if at that meeting of the "experts" they had simply said:

'any game camera can be used during the season as long as it can not transmit pictures remotely to another device that is more than 10 feet away', or
'no game cameras can be used during the hunting season'.

Why is it so hard for the Montana FWP to write simple, easy to understand regulations? How hard is it to come right to the point? I always get the feeling that we have a bunch of self impressed "experts" that are more concerned with trying to impress everyone with their over complicated rhetoric rather than just being servants of the people that want us to understand the rules.

LOL. If you want to talk reading comprehension, you'll note it was mentioned the legislature wrote the laws. It was not the FWP. I don't mean to insult. It just struck me as funny/ironic since you opened the door. It is a common misconception. But the legislature writes laws. Not the FWP.

interesting thread. First I am new here so go easy on me.:rolleyes: Is the adversion to trail cams in general due to elk and mule deer being easier to pattern?
Where I live it is very common place to run trail cameras year round, and I have never heard anyone elude to the fact that doing so would be unethical. I do have to agree having one transmit a pic to you while in the field is not ethical and diminishes the hunt part of hunting.

Seriously, I am a south easternerer..lol....like Ga. Its a different world I know. Near everyone runs cameras here throughout the year. I personally run cameras for a number of reasons, and I have 8 total. Hunting here is much different than out west. I guess you could say everything is scaled down and thicker. I can't rightly say a trail cam pic has ever been a reason for success on any particular animal for me. If fact I have only taken one buck that I know I had a picture of previously, and he was taken over 400 yards from where the pic was taken. Again think thick like 30 yard shots...lol different world I know. I use cameras to monitor a stand I have set for deer, If I get pics of a person in an area...I will move the stand. I have used cameras almost more to monitor human or vehicle traffic on an area here as much as animals...lol placed high in a tree over a road or trail I can see how much use an area is getting and nobody finds my cameras set that way.

It has to do with fair chase. And your definition of fair chase may not be the same as mine. If I can set up a trail cam during the season. Leave it up all week, go check it and see I don't have animals in the area, then go check another one and see I do, thus I hunt that area, is that really fair chase? I say no. It's not. How is that really different from using a drone. Sure the drone can be real time, so there is a little difference, but is it that much in this case?

There's quite a few laws that go to fair chase. Bear bait. Fair chase? To MT no. To ID yes. Feed plots? Ect.

It has to do with fair chase. And your definition of fair chase may not be the same as mine. If I can set up a trail cam during the season. Leave it up all week, go check it and see I don't have animals in the area, then go check another one and see I do, thus I hunt that area, is that really fair chase? I say no. It's not. How is that really different from using a drone. Sure the drone can be real time, so there is a little difference, but is it that much in this case?

There's quite a few laws that go to fair chase. Bear bait. Fair chase? To MT no. To ID yes. Feed plots? Ect.

agreed folks with have different views of fair chase. Get this, in half of Georgia baiting is allowed half it is not. For what is worth, I ran a 3000 acre lease in the part that allowed baiting, but I did not allow baiting, for multiple reasons. trail cameras may be a better aid in locating elk or mule deer than eastern whitetail so I can see that part of fair chase for elk or mule deer. I think I can sit most anywhere and see deer here. I personally use trail cams to let me know a quality buck is in an area, and to monitor human traffic on a tract of land. Whitetails are much different in habit than I assume elk or mule deer. :)

I have a friend that thinks it is not fair chase unless your are sitting in a stand or blind. He walked up on me one day while scouting. I asked where's your gun? He says I'm not shooting one if I just walk up on it. LOL Different strokes for Different folks.

If you hunt guided, and the guide has already located a herd with good bulls. You follow him out to the area, and when the bull presents a shot is that fair chase? I will curb this topic for me with that cause I have seen this fair chase topic before, another forum....it can get out of hand quick.:)

Last edited:
Seems like a good common sense rule change. I wish Oregon would make it illegal to use the kind that transmit pictures real time. That is the only thing I have an issue with regarding trail cam use.

Of all the technological advancements that have come along in recent years I would rate a trail cam that you have to physically check pretty low on the list as far as aiding in actually killing an animal.

I personally think that once season starts they should all come down. Totally fine with them outside of season but getting pretty tired of cameras on every wallow, trail, water hole all season and people stomping around to look at them. I use them plenty before and after season, just dont like while season open.

I realize this is a old thread and will probably evoke some negativity from folks who feel trail cameras should not be used during hunting season. As many probably know we use them a lot in the south during hunting season and they are legal in most states during hunting season even the one's that use cell service.

I was planning to bring a couple of the basic type trails camera's with me to Montana for my Elk hunt but a friend said they were illegal here. My first online search indicated they were illegal but then I came across this old post that said they were legal except for the type that uses a cell service to transmit to the hunter. So are the more basic camera's still legal in Montana to use during hunting season in 2020 or not?
Thanks in advance for your reply. Let the fireworks begin. LOL

Motion-Tracking Devices (MCA 87-6-401) It is unlawful for a person, while hunting, to possess any electronic motion-tracking device or mechanism that is designed to track the motion of a game animal and relay information on the animal’s movement to the hunter. Motion tracking devices are defined by F&W Commission as remote operated camera or video devices capable of transmitting real time information,

Go to Page 23 of MT Elk, Deer, Antelope Hunting Regs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back