Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

MT trail camera law change

SteveE

Sportsmans warehouse in Helena has the new rule posted next to the trail cameras and employees are saying it is legal to use trail cameras that do not transmit during the hunting season now.

Anybody know if this is true??

Sportsmans warehouse in Helena has the new rule posted next to the trail cameras and employees are saying it is legal to use trail cameras that do not transmit during the hunting season now.

Anybody know if this is true??

It is true.

If true, what a damn shame. I like trail cams too but not during hunting season.

"Motion-Tracking Devices and/or Camera Devices
It is illegal for a person, while hunting, to possess any electronic motion‐tracking device or mechanism that is designed to track the motion of a game animal and relay information on the animal’s movement to the hunter. A radio‐ tracking collar attached to a dog that is used by a hunter engaged in lawful hunting activities is not considered an illegal motion‐tracking device."

The "relay information" looks like the kicker. All in the wording.

Definitely a better approach than the old wording. I doubt it will change my hunting habits much but it will be nice to not have to worry about being in violation if my camera is in the woods or possession during a hunting season.

Definitely a better approach than the old wording. I doubt it will change my hunting habits much but it will be nice to not have to worry about being in violation if my camera is in the woods or possession during a hunting season.

I agree. This issue came up during the session and we worked with some folks to change the language of the regulation, rather than have another bill that we didn't need. After talking to several folks, the old language was not matching the current law, and so was changed to more accurately reflect statute. As I understand it, you still cannot use the cameras while hunting, but the old wording essentially meant you could have cameras out only from June to July.

I agree with Gerald and I will probably keep a couple up during the season now. I've always wanted to see what kind of bucks my late season whitetail area holds, but when you have to pull them in August, it is hard to say. I've filled my whitetail tag every year for the last 6 years. Will the cams affect my success? I don't think so. If I find a big buck on cam, will I hold out a little longer? Probably. That's a good thing though, right?

I don't like that while I am in the field, that I may very well end up on someones cam. On the flip side, it may help in catching and preventing illegal activity.

Last edited:
As I understand it, you still cannot use the cameras while hunting, but the old wording essentially meant you could have cameras out only from June to July.

I've spoken with two different FWP offices and this is not how it was explained by FWP. They are telling folks that as long as the cam doesn't transmit photos to the hunter during the hunt (cell signal or other signal) that they are legal to use. Their exact word were "the regular trail cams that you walk up to and check, are perfectly fine to use while hunting."

Last edited:
Fingers crossed drone scouting approval coming soon.

My new company is doing R&D for a new heat seeking missile to attach to drones if it takes place. We started out with the original Hellfire missiles but with all the early season fire concerns we had to modify it with a nonflammable explosive. Still working to minimize meat damage....

I think it's absolute bullshit for someone to check their camera during hunting season and say (holy shit nice buck walked by here yesterday, better stick around and see if I can't find him. Like I said before, I use trail cams, set them from mid June to mid August then pull them. Ever since the popularity and expansion of tr cams I've become real conflicted about them, even as it pertains to the way I use them. Big bucks and bulls are hard to kill but it's only going to get easier with the use of cameras during hunting season imo. Up until now I think the biggest threat to hunting and wildlife has been the ungodly amount of 4 wheelers allowing deeper and deeper access into places that at one time were essentially off limits to most but for the most passionate hard core hunters, not so sure trail cameras wont be a bigger threat with this new approved use.

Back