Wifey is not down with Solo

My wife worried a lot more about me driving to Montana and hunting with strangers from the internet than my solo trips. It all worked out good though, and would do so again.
You rig was packed too tight for me to toss in my banjo... :D

My wife worried a lot more about me driving to Montana and hunting with strangers from the internet than my solo trips. It all worked out good though, and would do so again.

The Wilderness is not a worry but humans are dangerous.
I figure I'm more likely to die on the couch from a heart attack than from either of them.
Talk to her about the inreach.

Tx_Basser,

So ya... anyhow, InReach. I originally bought a SPOT. Special promotion offer. Yammered with the guys 'n gals here and went right back and exchanged/returned it for the InReach.
Both better than having neither. :)

Got a SPOT cheap this spring, didn't really do a lot of homework. Used it hiking along boundary waters and later across the big horn mountains this summer. Worked as advertised. I am interested in hearing the concerns/wisdom of this Forum - I will make a switch if I am missing something, definitely not wedded to it.

Got a SPOT cheap this spring, didn't really do a lot of homework. Used it hiking along boundary waters and later across the big horn mountains this summer. Worked as advertised. I am interested in hearing the concerns/wisdom of this Forum - I will make a switch if I am missing something, definitely not wedded to it.

InReach allows incoming and outgoing text via Sat. The Sat is supposed to be more reliable (suppose that may be subjective). It is part of Garmin with their mapping. Monthly or annual contract options. Has SPOT changed to this?

Those were the big factors at the time I swapped opinions. Of course those opinions included that of Colorado's <Self proclaimed> Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 If he was trying out for National - we may be neck 'n neck... :D

Wasn't really looking and just replied to the point made by Sytes as part of this string, so seemed like a reasonable question.

There was a really good thread extolling the virtues and drawbacks of each system. It would be valuable for anyone trying to make a decision.

I know that Elkaholic's Inreach was really nice when we were packing his buck off the mountain last year. We were able to text my wife and let her know were were coming in really late. We got home at 2 a.m. My wife and I have an understanding that if I don't return by midnight she gets my neighbor mobilized to come look for my rig. It saved her a lot of worry and no one got called out of bed to make sure we weren't stranded.

Having said all that, finding a group to go with is a great idea if your wife isn't comfortable with you going solo. I've met some great guys off of this forum and made some lifelong friends. Got three hunts planned for this fall with guys from hunttalk.

Hooking up with Team Cush this year.. and hang with those guys. I may have to go it alone in some places, as I really want to try Randy's approach and try to find some "Sanctuaries" as he calls them.

have you thought about just hunting a game farm in texas? im sure you could be added to a group any day of the week, just like doing lasertag at the fun center. and wifey will be satisfied that you are not alone with the beasts.

have you thought about just hunting a game farm in texas? im sure you could be added to a group any day of the week, just like doing lasertag at the fun center. and wifey will be satisfied that you are not alone with the beasts.

Not sure what ur getting at with that response... but if you need to know her cousin was killed about 10 years ago in a hunting accident when he was by himself. He called his wife from his cell phone and talked to her while he was dying. By the time they got to him he was dead.

So yes.. Wifey is a little concerned when I go hunting by myself.. especially that deep in the mountains with no communication.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back