Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Wifey is not down with Solo

tx_basser

So trying to see if anybody has a group going to an OTC unit in CO for 2nd/3rd rifle season and needs some company... I am open to going whenever and help cover expenses, food, haul gear, etc. Also have plenty of gear if needed also.

PM, Msg, etc

Thanks,
Roger

And get an InReach. Really helps with the anxiety.

This...

Wife can follow you on a map non stop. Wife can text / you can text... Been one of the best items I've purchased for my safety AND in the event something happens at home - you can be contacted. For some, this may be a no go... ;)

I activate a satellite phone I own when will be hunting outside of reliable cell pone range but Inreach is better in some ways for a worrying family member.

This...I'd be there if I hadn't already committed to a deer hunt w/ my nephew 2nd season.

This...

Wife can follow you on a map non stop. Wife can text / you can text... Been one of the best items I've purchased for my safety AND in the event something happens at home - you can be contacted. For some, this may be a no go... ;)

InReach/Satphone is super helpful for some guys I know. When I spent time in AK, the satphone text @ a specified time every night was a similar boon. Some of the guys in our group hated the existence of the thing, but it bought me a hell of a lot of domestic tranquility. It also got us out of the bush early once when a 3 day storm was blowing in and got a group we met on the river 'rescued' by letting them call home and have a relative fly in to get them (busted boat).

Have her go with you if its possible. She'll probably realize that you'll be fine and that she doesn't want to do it again! An InReach would probably help too.

Have her go with you if its possible. She'll probably realize that you'll be fine and that she doesn't want to do it again! An InReach would probably help too.

SPOT GPS can be a cheap and low intrusion substitute for the more full featured InReach. She can track you. You can check in. You can SOS to emergency responders. No general texting capability so a little less likely to require outside communication during a hunting trip.

Always sorta smile/grimace at 2 things that are too common on hunting forums...

OK so saw some reaction to the below. a little more context warranted as I an not piling on the OP who asked a reasonable question. And yes I have no idea circumstances of OP. What I was speaking to below is why do a number of guys on hunting forums use term 'wifey'. I do not see or hear it elswhere when wives are mentioned so it kinda stands out. A philosophical question unrelated to OP's request. I asked a couple wives what they thought, no not both mine :), and they said it was a diminutive to them, this my query.

1, Guys referring to there life partner as 'wifey' on hunting forums...it is a diminutive at best. She is your wife. Own it straight up. We wont judge you for having a wife, no apology or diminutive required. Just seems an odd term to me so I ask.

2, Guys letting others, wife or otherwise, control them to the point of telling them they are not allowed to hunt alone. There are GOOD reasons to hunt solo and it can be safe. By comparison, teaming up with a bunch of strangers could go sideways fast.

But yes, the inreach might help...a lot.

Last edited:

1, Guys referring to there life partner as 'wifey' on hunting forums...it is a diminutive at best. She is your wife. Own it straight up. We wont judge you for having a wife, no apology or diminutive required. Just seems an odd term to me.

2, Guys letting others, wife or otherwise, control them to the point of telling them they are not allowed to hunt alone. There are GOOD reasons to hunt solo and it can be safe. By comparison, teaming up with a bunch of strangers could go sideways fast.

But yes, the inreach might help...a lot.

I grimace at the number of people on this forum who continually pick apart the comments of others. You sir, apparently do not live in a glass house. He asked if you could go on a hunt with him...if not, move on. As for your criticisms, "wifey" doesn't sound diminutive to me...I have several friends who use that term the way our parents used "honey, hun, sugar, or whatever"...to their wife, every day. And if you are so interested in people not judging you for having a wife and "owning it", then perhaps acknowledging her concerns isn't such a bad thing. He never said the was being forced to not hunt solo.

I will agree with you that there are excellent reasons to hunt solo. I love it, and my wifey doesn't mind. I'm sure I come across as an ass in the post, but this forum is getting worse than Facebook when it comes to people making unnecessary comments.

You do not have nearly enough context to judge this post as one involving a controlling "life partner". It could be the OP has health issues or it it could just be a harmless overstatement by OP when the fact is she would just feel more comfortable with him hunting with others and he is respecting his "life partners" feelings. We have no way of knowing the actual circumstances so why pop off with such a condescending set of comments?

Would be nice if we could stick to hunting and leave the personal judgements for Facebook.

Last edited:
Tx_Basser,

So ya... anyhow, InReach. I originally bought a SPOT. Special promotion offer. Yammered with the guys 'n gals here and went right back and exchanged/returned it for the InReach.
Both better than having neither. :)

This year may be hard to change her mind, but take her on a vacation to the mountains next summer so she can see for herself the terrain and conditions you'll be hunting in. She will always worry, but in time learn if you know what you are doing you are safe. A vacation will show just how many people are in the forest and that you will not be truly alone. In my experience any hunter is willing to help out another hunter when they need help.
Get in InReach or take time to check in via cellphone, service can usually be found with a short drive around the mountain, or take the time to drive to service. The first year is always the hardest to get her used to.

I don't know about the advice on taking your wife with you. I took my wife on an extended wilderness hunt as I wanted her to see the country. She enjoyed the trip but said she had no idea how dangerous the hunt could be.

I still hunt solo. She worries solo.

My wife worried a lot more about me driving to Montana and hunting with strangers from the internet than my solo trips. It all worked out good though, and would do so again.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back