Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Scope magnification and reticle reccomendations

skyrat

Hi all,
I am new to rifle hunting, but have used firearms a bunch.
I have been using archery tackle for a bit but am now building a Remington 700 American Wilderness Rifle in 300 WinMag. I love the feedback on the Leupold VX-3i Scopes. I expect to be hunting elk both near and far.

My questions are:
1. What would you recommend for magnification, 3.5-10 or 4.5-14?
2. If 14x should I opt for side focus parallax adjustment?
3. Which Reticle? I am leaning duplex, but want to know if there is a downside to windplex?
Lemme know!!
Thanks!

How far do you expect your range to be? I current don't shoot past 400 yards and a 3-9 or 3.5-10 is plenty of magnification for me. Since you are new to rifle and primarily an archery guy, I'm guessing you won't be taking on long distance shots any time soon. I would go with the 3.5-10

Some will disagree, but I really like BDC reticles like the LR Duplex and B&C. After you enter your load into a ballistic calculator, it's nice to know the approximate holdover at different distances.

The windplex reticle can do everything a duplex can but not vice versa. If you don't plan to use it for wind drift it's just a little busy to look at.

The next Leupold I buy will have the Windplex reticle. That, coupled with a CDS turret, would be a great system for hunting purposes. Simple and easy to use. mtmuley

I'd go with the 4.5-14-40mm scope. I have that on one rifle and my son has it on one as well! Both scopes have the B&C reticle and I really like that a lot. It is both quick and simple. I shot my first animal with this 280 AI I had built with one shot at 450 yards. She went maybe 15 yards and tipped over.

If you plan on shooting distance, I would skip past the windplex and go with the TMOA. It's not too busy and gives you holds/corrections for both with and drop

Not sure about my range, that is why I am leaning toward the 4.5-14. If I knew that I would keep it inside 300 yards I would stay with the lower magnification. I would hate to rule out the longer ranges by going with the shorter scope. The main concern for me is keeping the reticle uncluttered. Many of the BDC type things are just too busy, while both the windplex and duplex look pretty clean.

Not sure about my range, that is why I am leaning toward the 4.5-14. If I knew that I would keep it inside 300 yards I would stay with the lower magnification. I would hate to rule out the longer ranges by going with the shorter scope. The main concern for me is keeping the reticle uncluttered. Many of the BDC type things are just too busy, while both the windplex and duplex look pretty clean.
The difference between 10X magnification and 14X magnification at the top end will not be a limiting factor, IMO/E, on your ability to shoot long. Lots and lots of guys are successful many times farther than 300yds with 10X (max) scopes. Furthest shot I've taken and made on an unwounded critter was 435yds on a pronghorn. The scope was set on 10X at the time, but can go higher.

Quite frankly, any scope by Leupold, Nikon or Vortex that sells retail for more than $175 and goes to at least 9x will get'er done. Beyond that in my opinion is mostly preference. I personally like nikon BDC reticles. I personally don't buy beyond 14x for my scopes as I view as overkill for how/where I hunt. I personally value the extra clarity that comes from buying $375 scopes over $175, ones but don't need (can barely see) the extra clarity of a $750 scope. I like side focus for shooting beyond 100 yds so typically get that feature. Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColtenGilbert
Back