Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bipod vs trekking poles for seated position??

beginnerhunter

I've been practicing from a seated position using my trekking poles. The method seems to work well but I'm worried about the time it takes to get situated (shortening the poles, getting them into position, etc..). I've never really wanted a bipod due to the extra weight and the change in the way the rifle balances. Would it be better to just get a bipod? If so, I'd love to hear your bipod recommendations. Thanks!

Edit: this will be for mountain hunting settings.

Last edited:
I cant say which is better but I will say if you get a bipod, make sure it says harris on the package. stay away from the cheap copies of the harris. They will fall apart on you very quickly.

I own a Harris bipod and use it for varmint hunting only. When I hunt big game I don't like the extra weight or the change in rifle balance. I have killed more animals off my tripod with the spotting scope still attached than anything. I also use my pack as a rest as well. From a prone position I lay my hat down with my binoculars objective lens down and use them for a bipod. I use all of these rest just as quick and quiter than a bipod.

I have a harris bipod that I pretty much use only for pronghorn. I picked up a tripod to mount my binocs on this year and my plan is to use that as a shooting rest if I need to. I'll already have that anyway and the bipod adds a decent amount of weight to my rifle that gets old after awhile. I'll use my pack if I need to go prone.

I used the Bogpod short legged devil for this and it works great, even for my long torso. I originally got the long legged version but it is a bit tall and won't get really low for prone. I also got the rifle stock adaptor that clicks into the tripod and REALLY like that method of attaching version just the fork. There is a set up period of a few seconds from when you see the animal to when you can shoot, though.

Now, to be honest, I've only killed two of my 5 big game animals off of it and the first was because I was set up in a spot before dark that paid off. The others were using a fallen tree for a rest at 180 yards, Bogpod at 275, free hand at 20 yards, and freehand at 20 yards.

I use the walking sticks. I'm not sure why you'd shorten the legs to take a shot - just spread them a little more. When you hook them together, put the hand strap of one over the handle of the other (do for both) and they turn into an acceptable bipod.

I like the Primos bipod shooting stick. Trigger adjust length, takes 3 seconds to set.

Watch the PRS competitions and the equipment they use. I started last year in using a bag under my trigger elbow while sitting, shooting off of a Bog-Pod. It has extended my kill range from 2 to 3 hundred yards dispatching coyotes.

I use the walking sticks. I'm not sure why you'd shorten the legs to take a shot - just spread them a little more. When you hook them together, put the hand strap of one over the handle of the other (do for both) and they turn into an acceptable bipod.

Well I am shooting from a seated position since that is the most accurate method for me. That's why I have to shorten them. With practice it probably won't take that much time. I could also work on kneeling...

the extra weight of a bipod isn't worth it when you have so much available for you already. If you use a frame pack, they are typically tall enough for seated/kneeling positions. If you are already using trekking poles, there is a connector you can buy that turns them into shooting sticks. as for adjusting the legs, just leans, spread them out.

I love the Rapid Pivot bipods for predator hunting or open country antelope and deer. Anywhere walks are shorter and shots might be longer, and where trekking poles aren't necessary. On the steep country/ long walk hunts I go prone over the pack if possible. If not sitting behind the pack, sitting or kneeling behind trekking poles, or sitting or kneeling using the tripod are my choices. I practice all of them. I run Outdoorsmans tripod heads on my tripods and have their shooting rest for the head. If I have plenty of time and can't get prone I'll use the tripod with the shooting Y yoke under the rifle and my frame pack under my right armpit. I can lock in pretty steady that way in practice at least, I haven't ever had time to do all that on game when I couldn't go prone.

Well I am shooting from a seated position since that is the most accurate method for me. That's why I have to shorten them. With practice it probably won't take that much time. I could also work on kneeling...

That's how I usually shoot too (sitting). Just spread the legs farther and position them so you're leaning the rifle into them - legs in front, rather than directly under the forearm.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back