Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Rifle sight in.

20170906_165830.jpg20170906_161202.jpg20170906_161216.jpg Hit the range today and shot at 200. Photos are in group order. 3rd shot always seems to be off. Any sugestions?

First thing I would check that the barrel is free floated all the way to the action. It should have plenty of free float also.
Sent you a PM.

View attachment 73797View attachment 73798View attachment 73799 Hit the range today and shot at 200. Photos are in group order. 3rd shot always seems to be off. Any sugestions?

My initial reaction to a string like that is (a) the barrel is heating up, so try leaving leaving more time for barrel cool down between shots and see if that improves or (b) make sure the recoil hasn't pushed the gun back enough over the first two shots so that the barrel would be resting on sandbags for third shot instead of forearm.

Barrel heat can be a factor especially if it's a super thin barrel. If so I wouldn't worry about it near as much as where your cold bore shot is hitting.

My advice is to only shoot 2 shots. What is the third one for?

I guess in a perfect world only one shot would be needed, not two or three. Me, I like a rifle that will put 5, 6 ,7 or 10 shots plus in the same place time after time. Just me. mtmuley

I guess in a perfect world only one shot would be needed, not two or three. Me, I like a rifle that will put 5, 6 ,7 or 10 shots plus in the same place time after time. Just me. mtmuley

Right there with you

Go to Jbm and run their bullet stability calculator on you setup. I ran what I think you have by guessing. You should run it you might find that there are better bullies for your set up.

The bc of that bullet is .536 and it choreographed at 2915.

BC ,536 Vel 2915

sight height 1.5

vital zone 8"

max PB range 323 yds

max PB zero 276 yds

100 yds +3.3"

200 yds +3.5"

250 yds +1.6"

300 yds -1.7"350 yds -6.6"

@ 300 yds the bullet should be -4"

Take the rifle out and shoot these ranges and see how you do. This has worked great for me!

Just a quick question WJess, did you chronograph that ammo and still found jbm that far off? Not disagreeing, just confirming my understanding of your info as I have not seen that big a difference with actual out of gun velocities.

In any event, as you point out, a hunter has to shot his/her gun, scope and ammo in the real world at the various relevant ranges to truly be ready for the field.

You asked me this awhile ago and just shot again Sunday making sure everything was correct. Here is what I got. Zeroed at 200yards, spot on jbms call at 300, 1.1 Moa lower then jbms call at 400yds, . 7 Moa lower then jbms call at 500, and spot on again at 600yds. Everything is entered correctly and it doesn't matter how I play with the velocity Jbm never comes up with what my rifle and round is actually doing. Yea 1.1 Moa at 400 yards isn't that much but if your off 4 inches on your poa and then factor the 4 inch difference could be the difference between doa and doing a lot of tracking. Any ideas on why it's off so much? That load was shooting right at .5 Moa at 600. It's also the reason iam taking a lot of rounds out there and verifying with the 30 degree lower temps and 3500 ft change in elevation who know what it's goin to do without verifing

You asked me this awhile ago and just shot again Sunday making sure everything was correct. Here is what I got. Zeroed at 200yards, spot on jbms call at 300, 1.1 Moa lower then jbms call at 400yds, . 7 Moa lower then jbms call at 500, and spot on again at 600yds. Everything is entered correctly and it doesn't matter how I play with the velocity Jbm never comes up with what my rifle and round is actually doing. Yea 1.1 Moa at 400 yards isn't that much but if your off 4 inches on your poa and then factor the 4 inch difference could be the difference between doa and doing a lot of tracking. Any ideas on why it's off so much? That load was shooting right at .5 Moa at 600. It's also the reason iam taking a lot of rounds out there and verifying with the 30 degree lower temps and 3500 ft change in elevation who know what it's goin to do without verifing

Interesting. Also possible vendor bullet BC is off. Have you tried using your range data to back calculate BC?

When shooting the longer ranges other factors can come into play. Head wind or tail wind can cause some issues. Mirage can also be another factor. Then sometimes you just have to shake your head and try again LOL.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back