Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifle sight in.

NDMuley

Well been out shooting the last 2 days and I think that I am getting close. Here are my last 2 3 shot groups at 100 yards. 20170828_162935.jpg 20170828_162930.jpg let me know what you think. This is out of a Tika 270 Win with the hornady ELD-X 145. Thanls.

Looks good to me. I've got rifles that will shoot under MOA, but I really have to concentrate to do my part to get them.

On something like a .270 I'd probably go with a 200 yard zero, but I suppose it all depends on your intentions with the rifle.

In your last post you wanted scope recommendations to shoot 600-700 yards with that gun. I would say you need more than two days shooting it to be close (or ethically) to shooting at a ND mule deer that far.
But that just my two cents, take it for what it's worth.

Playing with your seating depth may tighten that up. I've seen a change in primers tighten up groups, as well.

What load are you using and what's the velocity?

I think you're ready to go hunting at standard hunting ranges - 300ish yards and in. Shooting mulies out around 600 yards is something that would take a while to work up to. Actually, I know very few hunters who really have much business trying that. Long shots of that sort requires a lot of practice and skill. Not to mention the right conditions and equipment.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Might get tuff to hit muleys or anything else at 600 yrds with that grouping. Tuffer still to actually have enough wopp with a .270 to kill em effectively.

Maybe better keep it at 300 or less.

Looks like a plenty good enough group for most hunters though.

If you can't get closer then 600 yards on a mule deer hunt here in ND your spot and stalk game is in need of some serious help. There is no reason you can't get within 300 yards here unless you are physically unable to move much. I would practice shooting tight groups out to 300 on the ground (not on a bench) and on a normal ND day when the wind is blowing 30 mph and it's either raining our snowing. Unfortunately you can't really practice for 10-20 degree temps just yet which is what you are likely to run into at some point. We have been blessed with too nice of weather the past 4 years and I think we are in for a bad one come November. Practicing in perfect conditions is pointless IMO. Good luck and have fun!

I know it no where good enough for longer ranges. I was just showing my first couple times out shooting. I also know I have a long ways to go and plan on shooting a lot more between now and November.

Is this a handload or factory ammo? I also agree I'd want a 200 yard zero.

Pretty good groups for a couple days and one load. Nothing wrong with wanting and owning a rifle and scope capable of 0 to 700 yards and learning to develope your own capabilities loads to shoot out that far.
Have some fun with it and find a place you can set up and shoot out 300 yards and see how that goes.

Is this a handload or factory ammo? I also agree I'd want a 200 yard zero.

If you are going to keep your shots within 300 or so yards you may want to try zeroing to maximum point blank range. I go back and forth between that and 200 yd zero - either will work, but I find myself gravitating to MPBR over the years.

If you are going to keep your shots within 300 or so yards you may want to try zeroing to maximum point blank range. I go back and forth between that and 200 yd zero - either will work, but I find myself gravitating to MPBR over the years.

I agree, although I usually just go with the 200 yard zero because it's easier to remember with multiple rifles.

I am going to zero it at 200. Just started at 100 to get some practice in. It's a factory load 145 ELD-X Hornady.

If you can't get closer then 600 yards on a mule deer hunt here in ND your spot and stalk game is in need of some serious help. There is no reason you can't get within 300 yards here unless you are physically unable to move much. I would practice shooting tight groups out to 300 on the ground (not on a bench) and on a normal ND day when the wind is blowing 30 mph and it's either raining our snowing. Unfortunately you can't really practice for 10-20 degree temps just yet which is what you are likely to run into at some point. We have been blessed with too nice of weather the past 4 years and I think we are in for a bad one come November. Practicing in perfect conditions is pointless IMO. Good luck and have fun!

I have to agree with BlakeA. Even for 300 yard shots I'd like a tighter group ideally. You might try sighting in at 2" at 100yds and see how your zero is at 300. I've been surprised at how far my point blank range is with my .270 load with 140gr Failsafe bullets (300). Don't need to worry about shooting high if a upward wobble might happen. GJ

I am going to zero it at 200. Just started at 100 to get some practice in. It's a factory load 145 ELD-X Hornady.

That's not bad for factory ammo. How many rounds down the tube? I'd recommend you try a few other brands as well. Nosler ammo is very good. Federal premium has some good loads also. Test a few and let the rifle tell you what it likes.
For longer ranges I'd like to see that 100 yard group about half that size.

Do you have turret adjustments? If not, I would recommend the PBR method of zeroing. If you zero at 200, you will have some significant drop between 300-400 yards.

Yes I have turret adjustment. I also shot some fusion 130 but they did not perform as well. Have only shot about 12 of each round so far. Thanks to everyone for there input so far. I am still learning to shoot better as before this I have not shot a whole lot.

Well to shoot with the 270 to 300yds, I'd go 3" high at 100yds. Your MPBR will be right near 300yd. Do it and then go shoot at difference distances. I believe the 3" high at 100yds will be considering using an 8" target. The bullet in that case would never rise more than 4" and right around 300 somewhere it will be 4" low. I can figure it a lot colser with my chronograph but I'd need the BC of your bullet and the muzzle velocity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back