Truck Topper add-ons

MThuntr

I'm getting ready to order a topper for my truck. What add-ons do you wish you had?

I'm thinking of adding a small bank of 12volt plugs and a couple lights on my own but was curious if there is anything that I should have added by the manufacturer. Locally A.R.E and Leer are available.

Vasoline.... I just priced one out for my truck. Last time I bought one it was under 800 for fiberglass color matched nothing special but all I wanted. Now same dealer same style topper they want 1500. The hunt is on for a used one that I'll have painted to match.

The carpet lining looks nice in my opinion, my buddy who got it said it was 100 dollar add on, but will just end up holding more yellow lab hair.

I really wish I had windoors on mine. Gets annoying crawling over things to get at other gear. Maybe I need to organize better.

Same thoughts for my new Silverado. Clothes hangers and a few power points is what I am considering. If I end up going the cap route. The one that suited me was upwards of $2500 all in (Leer). Its got me wondering if I really even need a cap. I may end up with a soft tonneau to start with and see if I really need a cap. If im going to screw up I would prefer it be a $250 screw up instead of $2500. My friends who have or have had caps are telling me they wouldnt do it again.

What truck did you end up buying? I bought a Leer one with free carpet headliner, slider windows, and the electric locks. The F150 has a locking tailgate and with the electric locking topper everything is secure off from the door lock button. After owning two toppers we went with the extra headroom on this one. We noticed in the past not being able to haul basic stuff because we needed the extra few inches of headroom. The carpet headliner cuts down on the noise and heat build up when the dog is back there.
IMG_0332.jpg

Good info so far. I've never had a topper but often wish I had one and many friends say they prefer to have one to put gear in. I like the idea of being able to lock up stuff. My truck has a backup camera so the loss of use to the rear-view is negligible. Our ice fishing trips regularly fill the back of a pickup with sleds and shelters.

I'll have to look into the windoors as that might be a good option. I just got a quote for a topper with a slight rise in the roof (maybe 2-3 inches taller than the cab), screen windows, and carpet headliner and it was $1800! Maybe I'll go with a standard topper and see if I can cut down the cost a bit

Addicting...I went with the F150 with ecoboost 2.7liter. I'm happy so far but a V8 may have been a better choice longterm. What did you end up paying for that topper setup if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Kind of my thoughts as well. Im used to a full size SUV but this time I couldnt find one to suit me so I went for a pickup. Thus my idea for a cap as I am used to hauling things in the back with pretty good security.

Where are you guys ordering these from? Would like to look at one myself.

I had a company truck once that had the windoors on the shell. I lived out of the truck for 10-day stints with a work partner, so they were handy for accessing gear and food if you packed the truck accordingly. They are somewhat limited by the vertical size of the opening and the height of the truck (or of the operator).

1800 is a good price, I paid $2203. I also got the sliding rear window that folds down for cleanings. I have just over a 1000 miles on it and the topper is a dust magnet if you drive on dirt roads. Not being able to clean in between the two panes of glass without removing the topper would be a huge pain in the a**.

As far as the rise it is nice so far. It doesn't look like a limo with the straight roof line and allows plenty of room for air to circulate around the dog boxes. You won't need extra lights unless you plan on sleeping back there. The push button lights in the bed do a really good job.

1800 is a good price, I paid $2203. I also got the sliding rear window that folds down for cleanings. I have just over a 1000 miles on it and the topper is a dust magnet if you drive on dirt roads. Not being able to clean in between the two panes of glass without removing the topper would be a huge pain in the a**.

As far as the rise it is nice so far. It doesn't look like a limo with the straight roof line and allows plenty of room for air to circulate around the dog boxes. You won't need extra lights unless you plan on sleeping back there. The push button lights in the bed do a really good job.

I imagine the removable window was a pricey add-on. I have a message into Big Sky Toppers (they are the local dealer in SW MT) for a quote...apparently the sell both A.R.E and Leer.

Want sticker shock... price one out in Alaska. :D They're about 40% more.

I've had 3 toppers of various configurations in the past, higher rise, windoors, carpet, no carpet, lights, cargo rails, etc.

carpet is warmer, and cuts down on the condensation buildup if you sleep in it.

The higher rise, while useful at times, looks terrible IMO.

Just got a new ARE with dual windoors, carpet, LED lighting when opening rear door. I may wire in a power port in the back now that I have live power.

I will also be adding Thule rack/bars. I had one on my last truck and used it quite often for hauling long items. Another thing I always do, is get foam mats (workout mats) cut them to fit the bed, and then get a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet and put over it. If the carpet gets dirty, its $25 for a new one. My dogs appreciate it, as do I when I sleep in there, as its much warmer. I'll never own another pickup without a topper.

Attachments

• 20170721_121139.jpg
    20170721_121139.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,048
I wouldn't have a pick-up without a topper. When we go hunting my brother and I bring both our trucks. His does not have a shell so anything in the back of his will get wet or snowed on and always covered in dust so we have to unload it and find a place for everything if the weather turns nasty.
I have stuff I keep in my truck year-round which I would never do if I didn't have a shell. Everything stays dry and clean and relatively secure. I'm sure the security part is mostly in my mind because if someone wanted to break into it they could do it without too much trouble. Windows are a must for me so they can be opened when our dogs are riding back there.

Attachments

• DSCN0357.jpg
    DSCN0357.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,004
  • DSCN0359.jpg
    DSCN0359.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,015
Power ports are nice as well as a shelf in the front which you can rig with 2x6 s if you want. I take mine on except for big hunt trips or camping trips. I have a piece of 4" sewer pipe with end caps to store fishing poles that attatches with the same bolts as the topper. Finding a good place to remove and store it is a must if its not going to be permanent.

Also Leer and Century are built on the same line and have the same options. I found one will run a special (free carpet) and the other won't. Check with the other brand as it May have it. The Leer one was a coupon you registered for on thier site.

As previously posted those quick camping trips or just overnight adventures work out nice for sleeping back there.

Unless you want a brand new one shop Craigslist you can get them cheaper and then do your add on's. I bought mine used in excellent condition with fiberglass that matches my paint for $300. It has a 3 or 4 inch rise and sliding side windows. I keep it on in winter and off in summer, made myself a little rack to store it underneath my deck I can just back up unbolt it and slide it off or onto truck.

Great info! Thanks guys! I have a few messages into the local dealers to see what I can come up with. I think I'm going to go with the cab level topper so I can transport longer items on top easier. I do intend to sleep in it especially when I can park at a trailhead and not have to setup a tent. So that means carpeted headliner and some homemade rubber mats which should help with preventing things from sliding around. I'm still not sure if I'll install the 12volt plug or if I'll have them do it. That'll be something I'll have to have them quote.

Locally, the toppers on Craigslist are only a few hundred $ less than new so I'll likely go with new and color matched plus they install it which means I don't have to mess with it.

Unless you want a brand new one shop Craigslist you can get them cheaper and then do your add on's. I bought mine used in excellent condition with fiberglass that matches my paint for $300. It has a 3 or 4 inch rise and sliding side windows. I keep it on in winter and off in summer, made myself a little rack to store it underneath my deck I can just back up unbolt it and slide it off or onto truck.

I got a used Century with windoors on Craigslist for $400.00. I had a real hard time finding one for my Tundra, it has an 8 ft. box. The owner couldn't find a buyer for the 8 footer. All these trucks nowadays have 6 ft. beds it seems. All I found for over a year were caps for the shortbeds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back