MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Summer Project

belly-deep

I decided to restock one of my rifles. It's a Winchester 70 Classic Stainless in 7 STW. I bought a Bansner unfinished stock off Brownells and went to work. Lots of sanding and a few rattle cans of paint later and this is what I ended up with.

If anyone is thinking about messing with one of these Bansner stocks, I will warn you that it is a several hour job from start to finish. The come rough finished, so you have to sand the form lines out, cut the butt to preferred LOP, epoxy on and grind down a recoil pad, and then paint and glass bed.

Not sure why the photo rotated 90 degrees. On my phone it was right side up.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.jpg
    IMG_0114.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Very sweet. Take any progress pics? Did you have to use a lot of body filler on the exterior?

I didn't take any progress pics. Making a post about it was a bit of an afterthought. Although, now that this one turned out nice, I might do another over the winter.

As far as body filler goes, I didn't use any because i was doing a textured paint finish. It covered just fine. Two coats of matte primer, 2 coats of textured finish, and 2 coats of clear coat.

I didn't take any progress pics. Making a post about it was a bit of an afterthought. Although, now that this one turned out nice, I might do another over the winter.

As far as body filler goes, I didn't use any because i was doing a textured paint finish. It covered just fine. Two coats of matte primer, 2 coats of textured finish, and 2 coats of clear coat.

Thanks for the info, and thanks for sharing the project. Did you get a final weight of the stock?

I'm curious as well about the weight of the finished stock? Thinking of doing the same with a 30-06 and am hoping to lose a few ounces with the bansner.

29.3 ounces with a 14" LOP, 1" Pachmayr and glass bedding.

I think you could lighten it up a bit with a thinner pad and different paint. I used the textured Rustoleum Stone stuff, which adds some grip to the stock and (in my opinion) looks really cool. But I bet it adds some weight over a straight flat finish.

With a 4.5-14 scope and Talley LW rings, it weighs 8.2 lbs unloaded and without a sling. It certainly not a lightweight, but given chambering (both recoil and LR capabilities) that will do well, I think.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back