clean bore vs fouled

p_ham

Just curious as to who prefers to sight their muzzy on a fouled bore vs clean? Personally I prefer a clean bore, mostly because I don't want to have to take a fouling shot while hunting. If I'm target shooting I don't worry about POI change, just make a note of where the fouled shots land (which is negligible out of my Accura).0827170953.jpg
This is my clean bore shot at 200yds, sitting supported using my pack as a rest. Load is 100gr blackhorn under a 290gr Barnes TMZ.

I'm fairly new to muzzleloaders, but I quickly realized it's clean bore for me. When I first started trying to sight in my T/C Impact, my groups were 3-4" at 50 yards, which was unacceptable coming from a rifle background. Started cleaning the barrel between shots and groups came down to 1-1.5". I will take a follow up shot before cleaning just to see where that fouled shot hits in case I need a second shot on an elk/deer.

First (and hopefully only) shot at an animal will be clean bore, so it makes sense to me to sight in that way.

Love that target!

I hunt with a clean bore. However, when shooting groups and sighting in, I shoot 3 shots without any cleaning. For me, if I can't shoot 3 shots without cleaning, then I'm going to change bullets, load or powder until I can!

Latest muzz gun is a Vortek StrikeFire, 50 cal. I have it shooting Federal BorLok (270 grain i think) with 120 grains of Black Horn 209. About a 1.25" group at 100 yards for a 3 shot group without cleaning until after the 3rd shot.

I shoot a clean bore while hunting and I clean the barrel after every shot on the range. It's the only way I've found for my guns to shoot consistently. Mostly shooting my TC Triumph lately

After sighting in I usually clean my knight bighorn, then shoot just a cap off, and then load and hunt from there.

Muzzleloaders I always use a clean bore, I shoot black powder so I don't want to leave it dirty for long. Centerfire rifles is another story.

You can't really leave a muzzy barrel dirty for very long can you? I've talked to guys who said to clean your muzzy no more than a day after shooting it or the powder residue can start to corrode the barrel.

Growing up in Iowa and having a field to shoot a muzzleloader bullet into as-needed every other day, we always hunted with a fouled bore for consistency (follow-up shots if needed), but I'm transitioning to a clean-bore mindset plus transitioning to Blackhorn powers now that I'm in MN and most of my hunts are trip-based and on small lots or WMA's that don't allow "target shooting". That said, I've seen my point-of-impact change as much as 3-4" at 100yds with a pyrodex pellet fouled bore vs a clean bore. Like you said, take note of the difference and hope that your buck-fevered brain remembers that on your 100yd follow-up shot. I'm hoping the Blackhorn powder minimizes the large build-up that my pryrodex pellets used to give me.

Growing up in Iowa and having a field to shoot a muzzleloader bullet into as-needed every other day, we always hunted with a fouled bore for consistency (follow-up shots if needed), but I'm transitioning to a clean-bore mindset plus transitioning to Blackhorn powers now that I'm in MN and most of my hunts are trip-based and on small lots or WMA's that don't allow "target shooting". That said, I've seen my point-of-impact change as much as 3-4" at 100yds with a pyrodex pellet fouled bore vs a clean bore. Like you said, take note of the difference and hope that your buck-fevered brain remembers that on your 100yd follow-up shot. I'm hoping the Blackhorn powder minimizes the large build-up that my pryrodex pellets used to give me.

I think you will be happy with Blackhorn. My last range session was 20+ shots without cleaning. Each loaded as easy as the last. It cleans up with regular hoppes no. 9/ your favorite centerfire solvent also.

i always shot on a clean bore, just like my rifles. I'm a bit obsessive about cleaning them.

I like clean bore as well, the POI does change on my TC Encore so I always run a cleaning patch through after each shot even while hunting. Also makes it much quicker to load a second round. For my TC Hawkins, I don't shoot at long enough ranges (75 yards max) that it makes much of a difference with patched round balls.

just gotten in the habit of running a cleaner patch after every shot and a dry one. Keeps everything consistent. Learned along time ago the noticeable difference not cleaning between shots as it gets harder to push the bullet down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back