Arkansas Elk

nturpin

Since I won the AR elk tag I've been able to get out and scout three times so far. I've seen 5 shooters (shooters to me) since I have been going. I could use some help on how to scout? The woods are extremely thick and Not real sure what to do besides glass what fields I can. I also don't want to pressure the elk to much.
Any pointers would greatly be appreciated.
Here is the only pic I've gotten of a shooter, sorry for the low quality.
IMG_2059.jpgIMG_2060.jpg

What dates are your hunt? That will probably tell you what type of terrain the bulls will be hanging out in. I would probably focus mostly of learning the area as best you can. Especially since you have been seeing a lot of elk. That's a cool pic!! Good luck, I'm jealous...

You may want to talk with the AGFC. This is a pretty special tag and they monitor the elk really closely. I think they would be willing to help. Good luck! Although you won the tag so luck is on your side!

Alot like my PA Hunt.
Hang as many cameras as you can get your hands on.
Look for heavy trails leading to bedding areas from open feeding areas. Acorns made it hard last year with so much feed in woods.
Good luck

My hunt is Oct 30-Nov 3. I'm not real sure what the elk will be doing by then. There is only one other hunt in my unit with only one other bull tag. So I don't think pressure will be a big issue, I hope. Right now I am trying to learning the land and see what kind of bulls are in the area.

Basically same dates I had last year and same only 1 other bull hunter in my PA zone..
Just learn as much as you can about your area. Talk to every person you meet, they may be willing to give you some good tips.

I was able to get out again this past weekend. I spotted one good bull and heard another one bugling. I was able to get a few cameras out and put 10 miles on my boots. I will check then in a couple of weeks.

Below is some of my recent pictures. A couple small bulls and some cool terrain.
DSC_0006.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0021.jpgDSC_0046.jpgDSC_0050.jpg

Are these tags on public land? I'm new to AR and when we went up north to Table Rock lake I saw the elk crossing signs along the highway.

Yes my hunt is on public land. They have 4 zones for elk hunting. All lotto draw hunts.

Another scouting trip down this past weekend. The first season hunt happened this past week, there were 4 tags for the early season hunt. 3 cows and 1 bull. I talked to one of the cow hunters who was able to get a large cow. He said that he never seen the bull hunter and felt like the guy didn't hunt. The youth hunter was able to get a 3x3 bull on his second day of the youth season.

My hunt is at the end of this month Oct 30-nov 3. It was tough to see elk after this past weeks hunt. I was able to see a good bull on Friday. And woke up to bugling on Sunday but never could see any elk

Here are some pictures from this past weekend
IMG_2490.jpg
IMG_2553.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg

Good Luck! Looking forward to your full report. I can't imagine being the guy with the 1 bull tag for the first season and not huntign!!!

Good Luck!!! Looks like some awesome bulls in that area. Can't wait to hear your report.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back