Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Pronghorn Field Judge Pics

KWIK68

I have seen a couple of short old threads on this topic. Thought I'd revive the topic a bit by throwing up some pics and getting some more experienced opinions on Field Judging Pronghorns. p.s. sorry for the pic quality, I was free handing through my knockers w/ my phone.

Proghorn #1
20170716_204336.jpg20170716_204342.jpg20170716_204343.jpg

Here is a smaller one, this guy was 35 yds from our UTV just snorting and pawing the whole time. Hard to mimic that sound, reminded me of Crocodile Dundee using that boomerang on a rope.

20170819_201335.jpg20170819_201339.jpg

This is a great thread that others should follow. For beginners this is very tough. Explanations will help explain to us guys that are trying to get better or trying to get started.

I was hoping this thread would take off but it has kinda died. I leave in a week for an antelope hunt and I was hoping to feel somewhat comfortable telling a 75" from a 80". I have 7-8 days set aside for the hunt, and am willing to eat my tag if I cant find a good buck. Im more concerned about my "judging abilities". Anyone else with live pics with known scores or know somewhat what range they are?

Thanks

fez, i've been on a pretty decent amount of antelope hunts and the one thing i would say is look over a lot of bucks before you shoot one. antelope are weird. sometimes i'm spot on judging them and i think i've got it all figured out and then i'm off quite a bit on the next one. the small ones are obvious, the really big ones are obvious, and then there's a lot of inbetweeners. i would say spend the first day or two of your hunt looking over as many different bucks as you can so you get a good idea of what is normal in the area and then focus on the better bucks you've seen during that time. if you are looking for an 80 then he should stand out from the other bucks you've been seeing because in my experience bucks like that aren't around every corner.

fez, i've been on a pretty decent amount of antelope hunts and the one thing i would say is look over a lot of bucks before you shoot one. antelope are weird. sometimes i'm spot on judging them and i think i've got it all figured out and then i'm off quite a bit on the next one. the small ones are obvious, the really big ones are obvious, and then there's a lot of inbetweeners. i would say spend the first day or two of your hunt looking over as many different bucks as you can so you get a good idea of what is normal in the area and then focus on the better bucks you've seen during that time. if you are looking for an 80 then he should stand out from the other bucks you've been seeing because in my experience bucks like that aren't around every corner.

Without pics to look at this is pretty good advice. In almost every case an 80" buck will have big prongs 5.5" or better and be a 15" minimum and have good mass above and below the prong. I guess knowing this we're back to being able to know what a buck with these features looks like in the field. I've killed a handful of 80+ inch bucks and each one just looked big the very first time I layed eyes on them. Sorry, this is all I have for you.

Make sure his horns are at least more than twice the length of the ears. Twice is about 12 inches. Compare the mass to the size of the eye. Higher the prong usually the better the score. Good prongs will be noticeable.
My book buck measures only 16 inches but his mass made him look only heavy not long.
You should notice the black on a big antelope bucks's head first, big horns really stand out from a distance.
A good spotting scope is paramount to judging trophy bucks. Have a window mount for truck glassing.

Thanks guys.

Not that score will dictate how much fun I have on this hunt but I do have a scoring question. Everyone says look for high prongs. When scoring an antelope are the 2 required mass measuments below the prong? Or are the measurements taken at the 1/4's unless it falls on the prong then its below

Thanks for your help!!!!

You have the base and 1st qtr below the prong with the 2nd qtr above the prong 99.999% of the time. The reason you like the prongs to be high is so the 2nd qtr is taken just at or close to the top of the prong where the mass is usually heavier. Can't help myself posting on antelope threads, they are by far my favorite big game animal to hunt!

Thanks guys.

Not that score will dictate how much fun I have on this hunt but I do have a scoring question. Everyone says look for high prongs. When scoring an antelope are the 2 required mass measuments below the prong? Or are the measurements taken at the 1/4's unless it falls on the prong then its below

Thanks for your help!!!!

First off, I don't think the better bucks are that easy to judge. I've seen pictures of B&C bucks that didn't look like something I would slow down to even glass. I've also seen some that have good height, good prongs, but aren't that heavy. I've seen short bucks that are really heavy that out-score bucks with 2-3 or or more inches in length.

What's tough is finding one that has it all.

In Wyoming, I would say look at the mass above and below the prong, if it doesn't have at least 6.5 inch bases, and looks thin at all on top...it better have a great prong and great height. Mass also hides prong length, so keep that in mind.

To your specific scoring question, yes, you get 2 mass measurements below the prong and in very rare situations when the prong is way high, you can actually get 3 below the prong. It doesn't happen often. The reason that its best to have a higher prong is because of the where you take 3rd and 4th mass measurements. Typically, the closer it is to the top of the prong, the better the 3rd and 4th measurements are. Where those mass measurement fall on top can impact score very significantly.

Its been my experience that the differences between an upper 70's and low 80's buck often times isn't that easy to recognize...a couple 1/8ths here and there can swing things one way or another pretty easy.

Good luck and have fun.

Killer info guys, thanks! Sorry I fell off the map for a while, busier than normal Fire Season and trying to wrap up the lawn care business for fall hunting has kept me a bit busy.

20170831_174147[1].jpg20170831_174142[1].jpg

Here is one that my boy named Mr. Crabs. His left prong looked kind of like a crab claw. He was smaller in body as well as horns. A little too friendly as well, we got him to come in from 140 yards to within 50 yards of the UTV by snorting and waving a white hand towel.

Tomorrow is the day. thanks to everyone that chimed in. Bullets will be buried so I don't get an itchy trigger finger.

Any tips/pointers on adding video from an I phone?

I run an android but I believe it's the same across all platforms including pc. Tap on what looks like the film strip icon above the text box and add the link. You'll have to upload the video to a server such as YouTube for hosting. Good luck on your hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back