Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Kuiu Super Down Jacket vs Kifaru Lost Parka

sak102174

I've been wanting a light pack-able jacket. Kuiu has their Super Down jacket (last year model) on clearance for $179 (no hood). Kifaru has their Lost Parka @ $265 (hooded) both seem comparable in warmth. I like the 500d cordura on the elbows and center pass through pocket of the Kifaru plus the zip off hood. Is it worth the $90 upgrade.

Does anyone have experience with either? Which would you go with?

Thanks

Last edited:
WHIle I have not work the Kifaru parka, I have some superdown items. Based on the pics of the parka alone, I would say they are somewhat different. I think the Kifaru parka will be more rugged and can serve as a true outer layer. The superdown is excellent insulation, but it is meant as a stationary piece of clothing. It does not breath. The superdown is rather slim in overall size while the parka is more substantial. The superdown will pack down to nothing. Because of the synthetic insulation the parka will take up more than double the space of superdown.

If you want a jacket, something you can wear while hunting, neither of these choices is the right one. Both area designed as a puffy that will keep you warm while stationary such as glassing, resting or sitting in camp. They are for warmth, not exactly hunting in. Hard to recommend one over the other since I haven't used both and I don't know your exact plan of use.

Thanks for the response. I'll be using this for backpack hunting primarily. I have my layer system down and since my internal thermostat runs HOT it doesn't matter much if its 80 or 20 degrees out, once I get to my spot I'll be in a rolling sweat. So if its on the cool side and I have a window to change into dry base or mids I need something to put on the top of that to help regulate until I can shed that layer, or if time doesn't permit to shed wet layers put something on top that will help dry me out a little. If that's even possible as my rolling sweat is just that, I'm typically soaked. So a change of at least my upper half base mids needs to happen. I have other jackets to serve this purpose in the Midwest hard woods (even a heater body suite for stand hunting) but they are all bulky and heavy. Point is I won't be hunting in either unless glassing or waiting in an ambush spot for a short time.

Based on pack-ability and current budget restrictions I have a feeling I'm going to go with the clearance Kuiu.

thanks again...

I have both. They truly are different applications. The Superdown is great for warmth while glassing, cutting the chill of a cold morning, etc. Not so great at busting through brush or shedding heavy rain/snow. Also, you'll get too hot with it on while hiking around for very long... But it is extremely packable.

The Kifaru is a pretty bomb proof, put it on, leave it on. No issues with rain/snow, etc as its synthetic. It's not as packable as the superdown is though...

As Aron says, you won't win any fashion contests with the Kifaru, but you'll be alive and warm.

In order to direct you as to which one you should get, I'd want to know when/where you're hunting, or what your plan with the jacket is (glassing, wear all day, etc).

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Good Luck!

Thanks CHH - I ended up going with the super down as I think its properties fit my body temperature more. I wanted something that was going to be warm for helping me maintain a temp after shedding wet under layers from perspiration. I will eventually get to a rolling sweat at zero degrees if I'm moving around. Main purpose is to be used in mid to late season in the mountains once I'm at a glassing/resting spot. Vast majority of my time is spent in a tree in the Midwest hardwoods. There I use a heater body suite.

Thanks for the write up...I think I made the right call. Maybe I will add the Lost Parka next year.

Last edited:
Back