Yeti GOBOX Collection

What do you think this buck scores?

MMarshall

This is my brothers LE buck from this year in Utah. I have not scored a buck before but he was wondering what you guys thought he might score. As far as score goes what is a good bench mark as far as good bucks go? To give you an idea of mass my brother had about a 1/4 of an inch maybe a little more between the tip of his index finger and thumb when wrapped around the bases.

Attachments

• 10004.jpg
    10004.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 1,554
  • 10006.jpg
    10006.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 1,544
Hard to judge off of pictures, but I would bet 70-72".

Nice looking buck Tell him Congrats.

Since you are scoring for P&Y, I would assume, it will depend on where that prong falls along the length of the horn. It looks a little far down, which would negatively impact the score, probably make it low 60s. If not, then right about 70, and I believe book is 67.

Either way I would find an official measurer and have him do it.

Since you are scoring for P&Y, I would assume, it will depend on where that prong falls along the length of the horn. It looks a little far down, which would negatively impact the score, probably make it low 60s. If not, then right about 70, and I believe book is 67.

Either way I would find an official measurer and have him do it.

Scoring pronghorn for P&Y or B&C there are two mass measurements taken below the prong, no matter how low the prong is on the horn.

I am going to guess 71-73"...good lookin' goat though with a ton of curve at the top. I like the uniform 'V' and the almost antler like look from the front view. Congrats on the LE Utah tag, I find those hard to come by.

You'll have to post the actual measurement here in this thread! I'd be curious to see, even if you do the measuring yourself.

Scoring pronghorn for P&Y or B&C there are two mass measurements taken below the prong, no matter how low the prong is on the horn.

I have measured a few goats...and you are right 2 D measurements are below prong.

If that swell goes very far, it'll distort the overall score negatively.

From P&Y: Should
D-2 land on the swelling of the prong, take D-2 measurement immediately below swelling of prong. Note D-3
must be taken above the prong. If D-3 falls on or below the prong, then take this measurement immediately
above the prong.

I have measured a few goats...and you are right 2 D measurements are below prong.

If that swell goes very far, it'll distort the overall score negatively.

From P&Y: Should
D-2 land on the swelling of the prong, take D-2 measurement immediately below swelling of prong. Note D-3
must be taken above the prong. If D-3 falls on or below the prong, then take this measurement immediately
above the prong.

Your post was an 8" difference from higher prong to lower prong. That is almost impossible. In fact, the buck pictured will easily get the D2 in the proper place.

In my experience, when the swelling of the prong causes the D2 to be measured lower on the horn, the score is usually higher.

I would say 60's, not enough length for 70's.
Nice buck with a bow regardless of score.

I'm going to try to revive this thread to see if we can get more guesses, I see a bit more here than the original responders.

L: 12.5
B: 6.5
Q1: 6.75
Q2: 3.875
Q3: 2.5
P:5
Total Score: 74 2/8

Any other guesses?

I'm gifting a little in my guesses, 13.5 length. 4.75 prong, 6, 6.25, 3.25, and 2.5 on mass. 72.5 gross. I'd had normally guessed high 60s, had I not heard somewhere Utah bucks have big fat giant noggins.

Interesting observation on the head size of Utah bucks, maybe it's due to the fact that probably half of Utah's antelope are descended from Montana transplants? The original post does give us a clue about the base circumference, but it is hard to tell exactly what it means since we don't know how big his hands are. For me the description would equate to 6.5", but I have small hands.

I'm going to try to revive this thread to see if we can get more guesses, I see a bit more here than the original responders.

L: 12.5
B: 6.5
Q1: 6.75
Q2: 3.875
Q3: 2.5
P:5
Total Score: 74 2/8

Any other guesses?

This is more in the line of what i was thinking when i first judged him before reading all the comments that he was in the 60's. I guess 72-74" something like that. I took a not quite 13" 7-7-7 lope in Wy 6 years ago that green gross scored 80". Really wish i had not devoted all my efforts toward hunting good blacktail and muley bucks these past 50 years and a good chunk more time toward these Pronghorn. They really are a fun critter to hunt!

Update on my brothers buck. He just got him back from the taxidermist.these pics are a little better.
What do you guys think on score? Sweet buck no matter the score 20180211_193052.jpg20180211_192950.jpg20180211_192918.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back