Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Patagonia joins forces with activists to protect public lands

mfb99

Patagonia company, one of big dogs in the outdoor clothing business is planning on going toe to toe with the DJT administration and Interior Zinke's goal of attacking OUR Public Lands.

See the write up in The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/26/public-lands-trump-patagonia-native-americans

For those who don't know Yvon Chouinard, the president of Patagonia. He started rock climbing in the 1960's and to support his climbing addiction he started making climbing equipment on a second hand steel forge. By determination and smarts, he turned his hand made equipment into the leading climbing equipment company in world - Chouinard Equipment/The Great Pacific Iron Works. He sold this company, which became Black Diamond. They continue to make some of the best climbing and backpacking gear in the world.

Chouinard started Patagonia Clothing to introduce new revolutionary materials to the outdoor clothing business. All of our fleece jackets etc. can be traced back to Chouinard's Capeline fabric. He and his wife developed this fabric based on the fabric used by North Atlantic Fishermen.

I tell a bit about Chouinard because I want folks to know that he (and his company) are not just a bunch of left wing environmental nuts - "Elites", what ever the heck that is. No, Chouinard is the real deal, he beat those first climbing pitons out steel working in his backyard. He lived in a tent and in the dirt in Yosemite Valley when climbing. He risked his body on first ascents of El Capitan. He had the courage to start not one, but two great American companies and today he is a billionaire.

Chouinard and Patagonia are going to fight anyone and any administration that tris to take OUR Public Lands from us. They are going to use their treasure, influence and legal team to do it.

I salute Patagonia and I stand with them in their fight. I hope you will too.

Cheers,

Patagonia makes great clothes & I have a lot of admiration for Yvon Chouinard's entrepreneurism & business savvy. But, according to the Oregon Outdoor Council, Patagonia gives significant amounts of money to organizations that are trying to make my way of life illegal. While they & I are on the same side of this fight, my money will be going to other companies that support my way of life.

Patagucci might me on our side this go-round, but there is plenty of commie in the brand too.

Agree with above sentiments: I'll lower the wall enough to hold hands on the public land issue, but I won't take them all the way down...

I'm confused. So Patagonia isn't holy?

Do Gooders love to moan and protest.

Engage (civil dialogue) with politicians and join legit conservation organizations which have earned respect and demonstrated ability to collaborate with others.

I'm getting tired of all this rhetoric. Everyone is "fighting for us" regardless of what it is...and yet nothing really changes. Giving money to the loudest voice rarely does anything. The loudest voice should be us, the voter. Our votes and voice to our local politicians should change opinions more than any lobbyist group "fighting".

Now I will say not all these groups are "fighting". A lot of groups out there actually do something and don't employ people just to yell at the opposition.

Patagonia spending $700,000 to spread the same message as what I would say about public lands seems like a good thing to me even if I don't like all their policies and stances on every position. I haven't found anyone yet whom I didn't have some point of difference in belief about something.

Credit where credit is due.

This may be a great opportunity to make ties with others who enjoy our public lands but do not like hunting. We can take this common ground and create dialogue that can help them understand who we are. I started hunting as an adult, and was raised in the climbing world. I still spend a great amount of time with the general "left wing" crowd that climbs, hikes, runs rivers and so on. I can attest that in my circle they are coming around to respecting who we are and what we stand for. I feel their views are changing and will continue to do so. The younger generation is open.

But, according to the Oregon Outdoor Council, Patagonia gives significant amounts of money to organizations that are trying to make my way of life illegal.

I assume you mean via their grant programs? The information regarding what organizations received grants is available on Patagonia's website. While many do fall into the "enviros" category, there are also several TU chapters, several other angling groups, at least one outfitters and guides group (in Utah, of all places), Wyoming Wildlife Federation where the description emphasizes their mission with regards to hunting, PLWA (not a hunting group per se but doing the heavy lifting for hunting and fishing access in MT), TRCP which is heavily geared towards hunters, etc. I wonder if hook and bullet groups are less represented on the list though simply because they don't apply to the program, given the obvious perception (deserved or not) of Patagonia in the hunting community.

Not arguing one way or the other, just observing that it doesn't appear to be as black and white as some would think.

Does giving $700,000 to organization to yell "SAVE OUR PUBLIC LANDS" help anything? Voting against guys like Chaffetz sure does. And I don't cause a big stink doing it. What if they actually bought $700,000 worth of land and donated it to the public? That would be an instance of actions speaking louder than words. Stop sounding like an NRA ad. It turns more people off than you think.

I would prefer the ad campaign over 700k in land. Make it a lot easier to get people to vote against people like Chaffetz when they're informed.

Does giving $700,000 to organization to yell "SAVE OUR PUBLIC LANDS" help anything? Voting against guys like Chaffetz sure does. And I don't cause a big stink doing it. What if they actually bought $700,000 worth of land and donated it to the public? That would be an instance of actions speaking louder than words. Stop sounding like an NRA ad. It turns more people off than you think.

That money was spent in TV advertising. We need a lot more people than the hunting populations to become aware of how important public lands are to all of us. I'd rather have all the flower sniffers and granola crunchers on our side informed and energized about protecting public lands than remaining uninformed and apathetic.

It's funny how the NRA gets bashed all around this forum because they focus on gun rights and ignore public land issues or support candidates that are pro-2A but anti public lands.

Yet, when a bunch of commies show up and support public lands but oppose - whether directly or by proxy - hunting the forum comes alive with support and gratitude.

Just a little something to ponder.

It's funny how the NRA gets bashed all around this forum because they focus on gun rights and ignore public land issues or support candidates that are pro-2A but anti public lands.

Yet, when a bunch of commies show up and support public lands but oppose - whether directly or by proxy - hunting the forum comes alive with support and gratitude.

Just a little something to ponder.

I think it's either the appeal of Granola Girls leading men to become Do Gooders or Green Decoys trolling hunting forums.

Reading the Patagonia Grants shows many causes I could never support.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's either the appeal of Granola Girls leading men to become Do Gooders or Green Decoys trolling hunting forums.

Reading the Patagonia Grants shows many causes I could never support.

Which posters are green decoys, Dukes?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back