Caribou Gear Tarp

Lanai Mouflon Sheep Hunt

alwayshunting

I just returned from Maui after a vacation with my wife. While there I spent a couple days over on Lanai hunting mouflon sheep. Here is the thread https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?274501-Hawaii-hunt-planning that a number of us have been posting while leading up to the hunt, but I thought I would start a new one for the story of my hunt.

I hunted last weekend during the two day muzzleloader season. Prior to that hunt there was a week or so long archery season and a two day youth rifle season. Starting this weekend there will be eight consecutive weekend rifle hunts.

Taking the ferry over from Lanai on Friday took under an hour and was pretty smooth. We were picked up by the gentleman that we were staying with. We then signed in for the hunt and picked up my tags. Hunters are required to purchase a ewe tag, get a non-typical or deformed ram tag for free, and have an option of purchasing an either sex tag. I picked up all three for $250 as a nonresident.

IMG_4383.jpg

I then spent the evening scouting. The two hunting units that are open as part of the state draw hunt total about 30,000 acres and cover most of the north half of the island. There are a number of roads up top, but less as you move down towards the shore. I saw quite a few other hunters while out hunting, but only once did I see someone more than a few hundred yards from their truck. It was nice being able to hunt in relative solitude. Scouting turned up a ewe and two lambs along with many axis deer including one very impressive one. That evening I came down with a pretty good fever/sore throat and was up through the night. Still feeling quite sick I headed out Saturday morning to hunt. I hiked in a short ways and started glassing. Right away I spotted a couple groups of sheep. Mostly ewes, lambs, and young rams. There was at least one deformed ram as well.

IMG_4392.jpg
IMG_4394.jpg
IMG_4404.jpg
IMG_4411.jpg

The island drops off pretty well as you head toward the shore, but what really impressed me were how steep and deep some of the gulches were. As I made my way toward the sheep that were a little over a quarter mile away I encountered one of the gulches and in it I spotted a few more sheep on the far slope including a medium sized ram. They were about 200 yards away which was just out of muzzleloader range (scopes are allowed in HI). I moved down slope paralleling them hoping to shave off a few yards. I came close, but they eventually busted out of the other side of the gulch. After losing them I began to study how to cross the gulch. It was incredibly steep and rocky. If I would have shot the ram I am not sure if I would have made it to the bottom to retrieve it. I hiked a ways up the gulch looking for a crossing. While doing so I kicked up another group of sheep. One challenge I was having was spotting the sheep before they spotted me. The sheep were very flighty and did not stick around too long once they spotted you. Typically they would take off down towards the coast to escape.

IMG_1307.jpgIMG_1312.jpg

After hunting the morning I needed to head back to town (about 20 minute drive) to lie down to try to get some rest. I typically hunt from before sunrise to after sunset, but was unable to do so on this hunt. I did make it out for the evening hunt. This time I hiked down from the other side of the gulch trying to find the sheep I had seen in the morning. I was definitely not feeling any better, but knew I had only a day and a half left to hunt and needed to make the most of it. I spotted some sheep and while making my way towards them I kicked up a ewe at close range and missed an easy shot. Pretty sure I rushed it and at the close distance I shot over the back. Late at night I did spot two rams including one nice one, but they were working away from me as it was getting dark. Only being able to shoot to 150 yards was definitely a limiting factor. I was frequently under 400 yards from sheep, but closing the distance unnoticed was challenging. I went back thinking I was feeling a little better and finally was able to get some food and water down. Then the fever came back stronger before bed. I ended up with a fever over 103 and puking most of the night. The next morning was even more of a struggle to get going, but having the last day of hunting I made a go of it.

IMG_1309.jpgIMG_1310.jpg

I felt like a zombie out walking. I was making unnecessary noise on the rocks and not being nearly as alert as I needed to be. At this point I was hoping to fill any one of my tags with any type of sheep. I spooked a few small groups of ewes, but did spot a group of sheep close to the coast in some rocks and trees. I decided I would make my way down the opposite ridge. Each step downhill was enough of a challenge, but knowing that each step was another uphill step was daunting. I made it to about where the sheep were and peeked over. I spotted a group of ewes and lambs bedded about one hundred yards away. I started to set up my rifle and as I did I spotted the curl of a ram in the bottom of the scope. I backed out and moved further down the ridge trying to relocate him.

Moving back over the ridge I set up in some rocks. I started spotting sheep all around me, which made it challenging to make any moves. Finally I spotted a half curl ram at 130 yards that I set up on. Then I spotted a larger ram next to it, but its vitals were blocked by a tree. The sheep were starting to get edgy and a few of the ewes took off running. Just as the ram started to take off it moved into an opening and I made the shot. Close to forty sheep ran out of the trees in the valley and up over the opposing ridge. I lost the ram I shot at in the smoke and could not locate it where it had been standing. I reloaded my rifle and sat there replaying the shot in my head. Then a little white spot in the bottom of the valley caught my eye. It was my ram. It had only moved 15 yards downhill from where I shot. I did not make the best shot as it was a little far back and damaged some meat on the exit, but it did the job.

After the rush of adrenaline dropped I returned to feeling sick. I took a few pictures (should have taken more) and started quartering the sheep. This is the first year that hunters are not required to pack out the animal whole. Now only one rear quarter needs to be left with bone in and sex attached. It was definitely a struggle to get through the boning process, which is usually something I do with ease. Then came the pack out. Typically one of my favorite parts of the hunt because you have to earn it and I find it very rewarding. This time was different. It was not a very long pack out or necessarily a lot of elevation gain, but it sure was a struggle. There were a number of points that I honestly did not think I was going to make it out with my pack. Eating and drinking almost nothing for the past 24 hours had caught up with me. After a number of pit stops I finally made it back to the truck.

IMG_1321.jpgIMG_1325.jpgIMG_1327.jpgIMG_1331.jpgIMG_1333.jpg

My wife helped me cut up the meat and we froze everything. Later that day I finally started to feel better and by the next day I was back to myself. The meat and head was left in a freezer at our rented condo on Maui for a few days. I packed everything with our clothing in a suitcase without ice. Fourteen hours later when I picked up my luggage in Billings everything was still frozen solid. Hunting in Hawaii is a totally new experience. The landscape on Lanai is very impressive as well. Overall I was happy to get a ram, but feel that I definitely did not get the chance to enjoy the hunt like I had hoped. I look back at the memories and enjoy them, but wish I could have enjoyed them during the hunt.

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Great job persevering through your illness, and glad you where successful in the end.

Last edited:
Beautiful sheep! Way to get out and make the most of it! Definitely a better memory than "I got sick and stayed in bed."
Man, I definitely need to look into a mouflon sheep hunt!

Man way to make it count while being sick. That stinks you became ill during that short two day period. Looks like some beautiful scenery can't wait to get there. You really got me excited now. Sounds like you seen a good number of sheep while out.

After seeing this I might let the wife talk me into a trip. She has always wanted to go but I really had no desire. Now that I know I could get a hunt in.

Nice work on a good ram

Glad you got a ram but unfortunate timing to get sick. I bet you're already planning a return trip.

After seeing all the axis deer it has me thinking I need to go back March and try for one of them. Thanks again for all the help with the logistics and hunting.

Man way to make it count while being sick. That stinks you became ill during that short two day period. Looks like some beautiful scenery can't wait to get there. You really got me excited now. Sounds like you seen a good number of sheep while out.

There definitely were no shortages of sheep. There should be plenty left when your weekend comes around in October.

This sounds like a blast other than a fever of 103!!!! Great job on a super cool hunt!you may have said in the other thread but what muzzleloader did you use?

Super!! I'm thinking that's one location I could convince my wife to tag along on a hunt to. Well done.

PS- I got super sick (took two rounds of antibiotics to kick) on an elk hunt a few years back. Makes it really tough...

After seeing all the axis deer it has me thinking I need to go back March and try for one of them. Thanks again for all the help with the logistics and hunting.

I was planning on going to Lanai in March but decided to try something new, so I booked a flight to Maui/Molokai in May. It looks like you were not far from my avatar.

You know guys I'm headed to newfie on a guided moose hunt in three weeks and it's gonna be great. But truthfully I'm more excited about the mouflon hunt in Oct there is something to be said about a good DIY hunting experience.

I'll take that moose hunt off your hands.Just consider it wealth sharing or the liberal way

Man that sucks you didn't feel good but awesome story anyway. Glad you could gut it out.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back