Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wich state would you pick?

duckhunt

I would like to start putting in for bighorn sheep. I already know draw odds are terrible. Im 42 years old so im starting this process pretty late. Do to limited funds I want to pick 1 state to play the game. If you were to choose 1 state wich state would it be and why? Any input on this would be great.

Colorado. You are 0% the first 3 years as are awarded preference points that max at 3 then in 4th year are getting bonus points so will see people say "I am at 3+1" when discussing sheep or goat or moose in Colorado, resident or non-resident. Non-resident has a pool so non-residents will get that many tags, no more, no less. In some states, such as Idaho, is "up to X tags" or "up to X% of tags" for non-residents so might not be any tags go to non-residents.

Colorado is allowing non-residents to apply with a credit card for sheep and goat and moose for the first time in 2017 so is going to be more crowded as an applicant does not have to front the $2000ish tag fee up front in cash.

I apply about everywhere that gives out more than 5 non-resident sheep tags per year. I would rank the Western states in this order based on cost to apply each year and money needed up front and tags likely to go to a newer applicant rather than a longtime applicant, in case you find a way to apply to more than 1 state:
CO, ID, OR, NV, UT, WY, MT, WA, NM, TX, CA.

Consider mountain goat as well as is really more challenging during the hunt than a sheep hunt:
CO, ID (but if apply in ID for sheep, can't apply for goat nor moose nor elk/deer/pronghorn), WY, MT, UT, NV, OR, WA.

Moose is not that challenging a hunt if a unit with several bulls and public land but since are dreaming here: ID, CO, UT, WY, MT, WA (Note: I do not put in for moose in the Eastern U.S. but opportunity is there).

AK and some parts of Canada also offer sheep, goat and moose opportunities for non-residents.

Good luck!

I'm no much of a believer in the point system Montana has, seems like just as many people with 4 5 and 6 points draw as much as people with 15. Sounds like your a first time applier so you'd be way behind the game in some states. Why not apply for dalls in AK or apply in Idaho, they don't Have a point system. Or if your dying to hunt sheep the unlimited unit's in Montana is about as real as it gets and you can just buy that. Good luck in the future draws.

Last edited:
I drew my desert sheep tag in AZ in 1986. I drew my AZ Rocky tag in 2013 with 24 pts. I drew a Colorado Rocky tag (NR) in 1995 after 10 years. So it does happen. I have 21 sheep points in Nevada (NR) and hope next season I will hit. I'm 69 now and will give it a go if I draw. Sooooo get started. I personally know of a gent who drew a AZ Rocky tag with 6 pts. GJ

Last edited:
If sheep is at the top of your list, and funds are an issue like 99% of us, then I would tell you save up the time and invest a few weeks into the Montana Unlimited. You'll have a tag, and if you have time, you might have a shot I think at harvesting.

I would also look into buying points for the supertags. The chance isn't much off what the draw is, but you also don't build points.

I've seen a couple of mentions of Alaska in the above comments. A few things to be aware of: Dall sheep only - no big horns. Nonresident tags are available over the counter for most areas, BUT for sheep, a guide is required (also for mt goats and brown/grizzly bears) - expect a guided hunt to run $15K +. You might find a cheaper hunt, but check references closely. There is resident pressure building to limit nonresident tags in the future, so that's something else to consider.

At 42, limited funds, and new to the points game, Montana unlimited if you really want to HUNT bighorns. Tough hunt, but some of the Idaho draw units are as tough or tougher. And in Montana you can hunt wilderness as a non res without a guide, unlike Wyoming. One year hunting the unlimited you will find out if you really like to hunt sheep or not.

I've seen a couple of mentions of Alaska in the above comments. A few things to be aware of: Dall sheep only - no big horns. Nonresident tags are available over the counter for most areas, BUT for sheep, a guide is required (also for mt goats and brown/grizzly bears) - expect a guided hunt to run $15K +. You might find a cheaper hunt, but check references closely. There is resident pressure building to limit nonresident tags in the future, so that's something else to consider.

A guide is required for non-residents to hunt Dall Sheep, except for the next of kin provision:
"Nonresidents who hunt brown bear,Dall sheep, or mountain goat must be
personally accompanied in the field by an Alaska-licensed guide or an Alaska
resident 19 years or older within second-degree of kindred** holding a current Alaska hunting license.
"
Second-degree of kindred:
father, mother, brother, sister, son,daughter, spouse, grandparent,grandchild, brother/sister-in-law, son/
daughter-in-law, father/mother-inlaw,stepfather, stepmother, stepsister,stepbrother, stepson, or stepdaughter

Either Colorado or ID. Nice thing about ID is no points system. I know the NR that drew the toughest sheep tag to draw in ID this year, his first time applying in the state. The fact that applicants must choose between moose, sheep, and goat helps a bit as well.

Colorado has some pretty decent odds for NR archery sheep licenses (some are better than 1/30). Success rates are low, but you're hunting sheep.

Another option would be to squirrel money away in a mutual fund every month for 20 years and go on a guided hunt. Alaska or BC for dall or Canmore for archery bighorn. Expensive, but at least you know 100% that you get to hunt, rather than applying every year in multiple states and possibly never hunting.

That said, this cheap working dad only applies for sheep in MT as a resident.

Joe, thanks, you are correct. I have been lucky. Nevada has a quota for non resident sheep. You can get a list from Nevada that shows how the draw went and lots (?) of folks draw with far fewer points than max in the NR draw. There are similar quotas for the other game species. If I was to start over again, I'd go AZ, NV. And CO. GJ

How much pressure is there in Montana unlimited units?I may give it a shot one of these years.How far is the hike into sheep country 10+ miles or what???I'm pushing 50 so my sheep days are numbered.

How much pressure is there in Montana unlimited units?I may give it a shot one of these years.How far is the hike into sheep country 10+ miles or what???I'm pushing 50 so my sheep days are numbered.

There's pressure in certain areas and some areas there's no one. These are the areas where it takes a little insanity and a lot of drive to get in there. Expect not to see sheep, don't chase dead sheep and no matter what shape your in the tooths are still gonna kick your ass. But, you gotta sheep tag in your pocket, and your in amazing country. Hope that helps

Back