Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

How Many Shots?

Walkathon

Hello Everyone- Question. After cleaning your barrel with a copper remover, how many shots does it take before your gun gets back to settling in and grouping well? My new Tikka seems to settle back in after 4 shots and I have a friend who shoots long range (targets) and he said his gun starts to group well after about 10 shots.

Curious what others find when starting off with a clean barrel. I shot my gun earlier this week with a completely clean barrel, first 3 shots spread out over 1.75" and then next 3 were within one inch. This is the 4th time I've had it out and I've probably shot 25 rounds through it total. I left the barrel dirty and don't plan on touching it until hunting season.

Last edited:
I usually shoot 2 fouling shots after cleaning and let the barrel cool before any serous shooting or sighting in. That seems to work pretty well on all my rifles.

I usually do 2 with my 7mm. My 25-06 takes 4. With a 100% spotless barrel, my first few shots are usually a good bit off.

Your barrel will let you know. I've seen some tighten up after 1-2 and some take 10 shots.
25 shots isn't to many rounds down a new barrel. My last barrel picked up 30fps at about the 80 round mark.

I shot two, 2 shot groups my last time out through my Kimber 300WSM. First group was about 2.75 at 200 yards. I let it cool and shot a sub MOA group. Thus was out of a cleaned barrel following a 30 shot break in my first time out. I'm not touching it and will take it to Wyoming in a month for the season opener

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back