Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cooler Security Ideas

406LIFE

So I'm gonna pony up and buy a very large, very expensive cooler (Yeti, Orion, etc.) and I have heard and seen these are a favorite target of thieves. Aside from a cable lock, does anyone have any security precautions they take? I was thinking of engraving my name on it, but wasn't sure if that would hurt the integrity of the cooler.

I have a tundra 75 coming in this week. My plan is to get 2 large hoop padlocks and run them through both locking holes, those will both grab a loop of chain that will be attached to the truck bed or looped through the wheel of my camper. Something like this:I'
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-L...1-2-in-Shackle-2-per-Pack-15SSTLJHC/205853833

It should keep the honest people honest, if someone really wants it they will get it. I've heard that the yeti locking tab they sell will straighten out with enough pulling force so I think I'm going to avoid that.

I used fluorescent orange spray-paint on mine to make them less desirable. My yeti 105 say's BEER on it.

Maybe paint "Fecal Samples" on it?

I still cannot come to terms with a cooler costing that much scratch.

Check into the rtic coolers 1/2 the price and same quality, I have one and it's a great cooler. If it wasn't for the name on it you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

I have a thing for convenience store clerk chicks anyway so I enjoy going to town every 2 days for ice.

I use a chain, padlocked to the lock holes on the cooler and then locked into the back of the truck but if they want it bad enough, they'd still get it pretty easily with some bolt cutters or a cutoff tool.

I have a tundra 75 coming in this week. My plan is to get 2 large hoop padlocks and run them through both locking holes, those will both grab a loop of chain that will be attached to the truck bed or looped through the wheel of my camper. Something like this:I'
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-L...1-2-in-Shackle-2-per-Pack-15SSTLJHC/205853833

It should keep the honest people honest, if someone really wants it they will get it. I've heard that the yeti locking tab they sell will straighten out with enough pulling force so I think I'm going to avoid that.

I'd avoid Master Locks like the plague on anything you want secured from a greater security threat than a toddler. http://nypost.com/2015/12/21/your-master-lock-doesnt-really-lock-anything-up/

I bought a set of Commando Locks for my Pelican case to use for flights with firearms, and they make a cooler setup as well http://www.commandolock.com/product/cable-cooler-solution-its-a-cooler-cable/

They are beefy locks with hardened shackles, but unlike the vast majority of Master Locks they come standard with security pins installed. Lock picking is something of a hobby of mine and this was the first 'consumer' lock I've bought that I couldn't open in the first 15 minutes of owning it.

I manage a storage unit facility and have cut off many locks on evicted tenants units. the only locks I have found that are even the slightest match for a good set of bolt cutters are uhaul branded round locks. Those things are hard!

Any other brand...Like butter.

I cant believe people steal coolers:confused:

I have a friend here in Boise that leaves his UNLOCKED cooler sitting in the back of his uncovered pickup nearly 365 days a year. It has never been stolen. He bought a $5 sticker that he placed on top. It reads: DANGER - LIVE SNAKES.

Need to make plastic stickers that have WalMart on them for the fronts of the coolers. Bright blue and yellow logos.

Check into the rtic coolers 1/2 the price and same quality, I have one and it's a great cooler. If it wasn't for the name on it you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

I have the 65 and 2 of the bottles (36 and 64 oz) and am extremely happy with all of them. If you keep watch on their website they have sales as well. The wife picked up my 65 for about $150 around Christmas last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back