Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bowtech Frustrations

wa_archer

So while shooting and getting ready for the archery season to open in a week I heard the worse sound I have heard at full draw. My upper limb starts creaking and cracking like a tree starting to fall. I let down fast luckily before the whole limb breaks and blows my bow up in my hand. I start examining my bow to find the upper limb split down the middle and delaminated and splintered. My stress level immediately goes through the roof up to this point I was shooting tight groups with field and broadheads out to 60yds and feeling more confident then ever with my setup.

I immediately start scrambling and call bowtech since I have no dealers close to me. I talk to a representative who advises me even though the limb issue is very well known to Bowtech, due to me being a second owner of the bow they will not warranty the limb. While I could see this if it was a random mishap or a misuse issue, but its not. It is an issue Bowtech is very well aware of, so aware they have started making the limbs in house due to quality issues with the factory that was making them. At that point to me it shouldn't matter who owns the bow when it comes down to the lack of quality control on there end which allowed a sub par product to be sold. Stand behind your product for better or worse.

They wont sell me limbs directly so now after 300+ dollars I have a new set of limbs being rush shipped to a dealer 2 hours away so I can have my bow back up and running before season.

I was a big fan of my Bowtech but not sure I will stick with the company after I get through this season.

very reason I bought a hoyt 3 years ago. I do think they have fixed the limb issues so the Reign will be my next purchase. What model is this one? I do think they should stand behind their products even if you aren't the original owner

very reason I bought a hoyt 3 years ago. I do think they have fixed the limb issues so the Reign will be my next purchase. What model is this one? I do think they should stand behind their products even if you aren't the original owner

I've read so many times over the years that Bowtech has fixed their limb issues, only for it to pop up on the next new bow they come out with. Its been enough to keep me from really ever giving them more than a passing glance

i bet the frustrations started the moment you realized you bought a bowtech lol!

Jk.... that sucks man, that's shitty customer service! I woulda raised cane or told em to shove their $300 up their .... and go to AT and buy a used bow for another 100 or so.

Hope everything works out okay!

I use to shoot Bowtechs when I was into field shooting, until the bow blew up. Horrible customer service and they seem to refuse to fix the issue. I will never recommend Bowtechs to anyone. I'd toss the bow in the garbage and pick up a Hoyt

I was shooting my Bowtech Insanity at a 120 yard mountain goat in the cliffs and I was stressed about blowing up an arrow and mind-farted and forgot to even put an arrow on the string. My cables blew up but the limbs held.... I guess I was lucky.

I love my Bowtech and would buy it again.

I have to agree with grizzly...I bought a brand new Destroyer in 2011 and haven't had a single issue with the bow. I'd consider buying another one too..as a matter of fact, the limb issue is kinda news to me.

No issues at all with the (3) bowtechs I've owned. I understand the frustration with customer service though. I wanted to purchase some heavier limbs at one time, and Bowtech would not accommodate. Said I must go through a dealer.

That customer service is poor. I bought my 2008 Bowtech used, and they have warrantied it no questions asked, through the local dealer. It was a broken cam. Sorry to hear this.

I had this same thing happen to me a few years ago with my elite. Limb delamination. I was the second owner of the bow. Not a big deal for Elite as their warranty and hunt guarantee (overnight you a bow set up to your specs free of charge to finish your hunt) will keep me an Elite customer. Warranty is transferable. However, the original owner had it dipped, which voided the warranty, which I expected. They had black limbs for a 2010 bow in stock and had them to me in a few days. I can pretty much guarantee the de-lam was caused by me leaving the bow in a sunroom for a few days.

It is a Boss, I will say it has been a great shooting bow I have loved it up to this point. Like I said before if it was me dry firing it or it falling or something like that i would be fine with the warranty issue since i didnt pay full price but with it being an issue they now full well about.

the person i did talk to told me that since they have brought the limb manufacture in-house they have not had any issue with limbs.

I was very close to just getting a different bow but didn't want to totally start anew this close to season.

esracerx, good to hear about elite I have been looking at them.

I haven't had a single issue with my bowtech. Much of their issues have been resolved, if its a newer bow id guess the previous owner may have dried fired it. With the aggressive limb designs that bows have now these days, any kind of dry fire will do damage.

1st off that sucks. I was just having this same basic discussion with a couple buddies yesterday. One just had the limbs on his Hoyt blow up and was bashing Hoyt, another said he had a bowtech limb go....Ive owned 6 bowtechs in the last 17 yrs and have never had any issue what so ever. It can happen to any company...I wouldn't be happy with the customer service, but question if any of the others would have covered a bow on a 2nd owner either.

Last edited:
I had similar frustration with two different pairs of Hoyt limbs some years back when they de-laminated TWICE.......it happens to all manufacturers. The "second" owner clause is unfortunate too....but very common with many manufacturers. Call Bowtech back and ask to speak to a customer service supervisor.

FYI re: Elite bows, their warranty is no longer transferable for bows sold after January 1, 2017. I own a 10+ year old BowTech Pro 38, and have never had a problem with it. Like you, I am in the market for a new bow. I will consider BowTech, Hoyt, and Matthews. For me, I am not concerned about BowTech limb delamination these days. I think they had a major problem, and took the necessary steps to fix it.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back