Reloading

A single stage presses loads very accurate ammo ,but no more accurate than a turret press.

What the difference is that the die must be removed and replaced adjusted properly each process. That is not overly hard to do, but time consuming. It's so much easier to set up the dies once and load with the simple turn of the turret.

I feel repeatedly removing the die makes repeatibility a little more difficult for the beginner also.
Otherwise sinlges load just fine. But I can load multiple calibers quickly by just a switch of a turret and no measering and double checking the adjustment over and over.
I enjoy loading ,but I enjoy having more time to shoot better than setting up die adjustment.

Once you've used a turret press for a while you'll say single stage operation certainly sucks. Especially if loading multiple calibers a day.
But a new loader can get the set up right and then just load. I think that it will make it more enjoyable also.

If you like taking it all apart and resetting the dies over and over then I guess if that is what turns you on then oaky doeky.

Last edited:
Throw away the beam scale? Ok, digital is easier to use, but millions of rounds of very precise ammunition has been measured on a beam scale, it's not just a throwaway they put in the box.

There are a lot of things that make reloading easier, but they aren't absolutely required. Powder measure and trickler come to mind. I bought a partner press kit from rcbs 35 years ago, small partner press, scale, block, lube pad and lube, chamfer tool and neck and primer pocket brushes. Included a speer manual, too. Never had a powder measure till someone gave me one a year ago. I just poured powder into a container and scooped it with a spoon. We have all been told we "need" things to accomplish something, when what we need is rather minimal.

I agree with this. If you buy the RCBS kit it will come with everything you NEED minus components and dies. As you begin to load some rounds you will find that there are a lot of items that will make your life easier but they can be slowly added over time. I feel that unless you have a good mentor a single stage press is the way to go. Progressive presses are nice and quick but they will also duplicate errors really nice and quick. Until you have the foundations I don't think you can go wrong with a single stage press. Plus, if your only loading for rifles, and maybe just a couple of them, you wont loose much time by loading on a single stage.

Throw away the beam scale? Ok, digital is easier to use, but millions of rounds of very precise ammunition has been measured on a beam scale, it's not just a throwaway they put in the box.

My beam scale is probably 50 yrs old and a hell of a lot more accurate than I can dream of. I can actually measure my loads down to a single granule of powder, if I care to. It's a bit slower yes, but let's see an electronic scale last 50 yrs !

My beam scale is probably 50 yrs old and a hell of a lot more accurate than I can dream of. I can actually measure my loads down to a single granule of powder, if I care to. It's a bit slower yes, but let's see an electronic scale last 50 yrs !

PLUS no battery's required ;)

I started many years ago when a friend gave me a Pacific single stage press that required you to change the ram to change calibers as it did not have the separate shell holders. Then I upgraded to a RCBS Rock Chucker that I still have today. Next I bought a Dillon RL550B progressive and have loaded many thousands of rounds on, 38/357, 40S&W, 10mm, 41mag,44mag,45acp,45colt/454, 223, 22-250, 243, 270, 7-08, 45-70. Then I bought a Redding t-7 to load my 45 2.6 aka 45-100. I also use it to load 300H&H, 300 Weatherby and 338 Win. It's a large very strong press and handles the 45-2.6 very well.
What I'm saying is you can get started with the basic's and expand as you need to. Will it be cheaper........well no but it will get you shooting a lot more and it is a great hobby. Then maybe get into casting your handgun bullets or maybe 45-70 then you can save more money shooting lol. Oh don't forget the lube/sizer for your cast bullets, gotta have it to shoot your cast bullets.
NOPE YOU DON'T SAVE MONEY BUT YOU WILL HAVE A BALL SPENDING IT ONE SHOT AT A TIME!!!!!!!

A single stage presses loads very accurate ammo ,but no more accurate than a turret press.

What the difference is that the die must be removed and replaced adjusted properly each process. That is not overly hard to do, but time consuming. It's so much easier to set up the dies once and load with the simple turn of the turret.

I feel repeatedly removing the die makes repeatibility a little more difficult for the beginner also.
Otherwise sinlges load just fine. But I can load multiple calibers quickly by just a switch of a turret and no measering and double checking the adjustment over and over.
I enjoy loading ,but I enjoy having more time to shoot better than setting up die adjustment.

Once you've used a turret press for a while you'll say single stage operation certainly sucks. Especially if loading multiple calibers a day.
But a new loader can get the set up right and then just load. I think that it will make it more enjoyable also.

If you like taking it all apart and resetting the dies over and over then I guess if that is what turns you on then oaky doeky.

There should be no reason to have to readjust your dies each time with a single stage. Get a die adjusted correctly, set the lock ring, and it's good until the conditions change. Some lock rings are more user friendly than others. The clamp style that Hornady and Forster use work well for me.

Maybe there something wrong with mine then because when I compared it to my digital there was a definite discrepancy, hence my replacing it.

A non-turret single stage press is be more consistent/accurate than a turret. I don't care who made the turret, there is going to be play/slop. The better built units have very little, but there is still some. If you are comfortable with that get a turret. I switched to a turret press because of the speed in changing calibers.

I use a balance beam type scale and love it. Maybe some day I'll switch to a digital, but for now I'm perfectly comfortable with my balance beam.

Maybe there something wrong with mine then because when I compared it to my digital there was a definite discrepancy, hence my replacing it.

I use Both, the digital is easier but I always weight a few charges on my beam scale. I can verify either using a calibration weight and the beam scale has never let me down.

Use what you are comfortable with. Once a guy has become familiar with his tools, consistency will become second nature.
In reloading, consistency makes accurate loads. Regardless of the type of equipment used.
It can be as cheap or as expensive as you make it, depending on the equipment you purchase.
Learning to use the equipment properly is the key.

Go out and get what you want to use and get started loading. It can be very enjoyable and rewarding.

Alaska,

1-3 thousandths isn't going to amount to beans as far as hunting accuracy.
1000 yards bench rest is a whole other story.

While I like reloading and usually advocate for people to get into it (especially instead of buying new rifles), this time I'm going to suggest you don't get started. You only mention wanting to load for one cartridge and a very common one at that. I'd find a factory load that shoots the type of bullets you want acceptably well and then buy a whole bunch of that lot/type of ammo and carry on.

If you decide to take the plunge, I'm in the beam scale/single stage press group of suggestors. :D A 270 Win is not a high volume round and with a bit of practice you'll be able to load them fast enough using that older/cheaper technology.

I think the saving's part has to be said lounge in cheek! While you can reload for less, you'll have to recover tool cost's and your gonna shoot a lot more. The reason I reload is to shoot what ever I want when ever I want, gave up on saving money long ago!

I think the saving's part has to be said lounge in cheek! While you can reload for less, you'll have to recover tool cost's and your gonna shoot a lot more. The reason I reload is to shoot what ever I want when ever I want, gave up on saving money long ago!

I have looked into hand loading on and off for years to save money, but always pulled back after making the full list of "needs". The price, the space, all the little steps -- just a bridge too far and a belief I could at best break even. But recently I have switched my thinking. If I go from, "I can save money" to "I can have the desired bullet and the right charge every time, not just when a preferred brand is in stock at the local gun store" then this becomes interesting again. I would buy pre-prepped brass which drives out a bunch of little steps, a bunch of equipment, a fair amount of hassle and any chance at saving money and just focus on preferred bullet loaded in tune with my gun. Stuff on order, will be loading soon. I can always add the brass cleaning, drying, inspections, re-sizing, trimming, de-burring, primer removal, champfering, etc. later if I have more time and want to save a buck.

I have been reloading for some years now and have used progressive press for my
40 S&W and single stage for my 243 Winchester, both are Lee and both are a little worn and still going. My only advice would be to find yourself a mentor, go slow and learn all you can! You must learn to walk before you can run.

Good luck in your journey.

I'm using the same RCBS Rockchucker kit I bought at Bob Wards in Bozeman in 1998. It works just fine, I have never replaced or upgraded anything in it. I'll die before it wears out.

I'm using the same RCBS Rockchucker kit I bought at Bob Wards in Bozeman in 1998. It works just fine, I have never replaced or upgraded anything in it. I'll die before it wears out.

Yep. Good info. mtmuley

Ditto, except my was bought in 1982.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HUNT7503
Back