Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Reloading

NDMuley

I have never reloaded bit thought it might be fun to try. My question for the guys that do it how much would it cost to get into this? I would only be doing it for a 270 Win. Thanks

It can get quite expensive depending on the rabbithole you go down. I used the Lee Anniversary kit at first but ended up replacing nearly all the items and tossed most of the Lee equipment in the trash. If bought new you're looking at $300 for the basics plus cost of powder, primers, bullets, and brass. Depending on the items purchased you can get kits that cover the bases and basically you'd need to add reloading dies, manuals, and components

Last edited:
Up front, I would add that reloading does not necessarily save money (at least not short term). But you get the chance to customize ammo specifically for your rifle.

You can start with something like the RCBS kit below It gives you all the basics except for a set of dies.
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker...sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+rock+chucker+supreme+kit

Then you would need primers, powder and bullets based on a load you choose from the load manual.

Up front, I would add that reloading does not necessarily save money (at least not short term). But you get the chance to customize ammo specifically for your rifle.

You can start with something like the RCBS kit below It gives you all the basics except for a set of dies.
https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker...sr=8-1&keywords=rcbs+rock+chucker+supreme+kit

Then you would need primers, powder and bullets based on a load you choose from the load manual.

This> Also add the powder measure stand & powder trickler plus your dies and shell holder and you got it covered for now. If you enjoy it you can always add to the kit a little at a time.

This> Also add the powder measure stand & powder trickler plus your dies and shell holder and you got it covered for now. If you enjoy it you can always add to the kit a little at a time.

3rd. I'm using my RCBS kit 10 years later and glad I purchased it every day.

For $300 - $500 you can have a set up that lasts you forever, and can pass down to your kids. I have dad's stuff from the 1960's and it's still in fine form.

People can bemoan a Lee system all they want, but the fact is I bought one in 1985 and the thing is still running like a Champ ! Took a Bronze medal in the NC state games with handloads from that little press system. A complete Lee System can be had for about $200.

Even if you don't actually 'save' any money by reloading, in the end you'll just never give it up after you fill your 1st tag with a round you personally put together. You can make whatever round you think you need, to fit whatever circumstance you're hunting under, in whatever environment you're hunting in. Try buying That a Cabalas !

Don't buy a kit. That was the advice I was given when I first started. That was the best reloading advice that I've gotten, so far.

I got the Lee 4 hole turret kit. Still use it almost exclusively.

I'm assuming you kept your casings, so that would be a big help cutting cost, as long as they are the same manufacturer.
Mixed brass can give you headaches you don't need.

I started with just my 7mm Rem Mag.
Now i load for 8 different rifle calibers and 5 pistol calibers.

While i save money as opposed to loaded ammo, i shoot a ton more, hence costing more in components and powder.

There are a lot of things that make reloading easier, but they aren't absolutely required. Powder measure and trickler come to mind. I bought a partner press kit from rcbs 35 years ago, small partner press, scale, block, lube pad and lube, chamfer tool and neck and primer pocket brushes. Included a speer manual, too. Never had a powder measure till someone gave me one a year ago. I just poured powder into a container and scooped it with a spoon. We have all been told we "need" things to accomplish something, when what we need is rather minimal.

I'm still using my old Lee three hole turret press with no issues ever. I've used many others and really like the turret type presses. Two Lee turrets and an old Lyman six hole press have been my tools of choice for most of my reloading life and I have no plans to replace them. They work great.

Used turret press can be had for $30-$50 bucks. Online's prices are hard to beat for most all needed.
Lee case trimmer is my favorite also.
A digital powder scale can be had for cheap too.
I would say all in all $150 to $200 to get started and that includes a pound of powder with a box of bullets and primers.

Money well spent in my mind. Single stage presses suck and make me unhappy. They are super cheap though.

Last edited:
Only the 270? No doubt in my mind I'd go Lee. Got my son a Lee kit to start out and he liked it very well. If I remember right you'd need to get a dial caliper too, Can be had for about $25. Lee had an inexpensive trimmer but I don't know if it comes with the kit. I didn't like the scale but my sone did. It would probably be alright for you to start out, you've nothing to compare it to! If your really serious about getting in, Lee will get you gong without breaking the bank. And the Lee dies I have are as good as any and a lot less expensive! Lot of people have been using the Lee tools for a long long time without any problems. Other's run into a problem with a Lee tool and because of cost, IMO, bad mouth them the rest of their life. I've got An RCBS press, all I've ever had but I got it used and had other stuff long before I got my present, close to 30 yrs ago. I've got RCBS dies, Redding, Lyman, Herter, Lee and maybe a couple other I got over the years. Lee has done me as well as any of them. The goal is to load good ammunition, not to see how much money you can spend. One cartridge to get going, Lee all the way. Had to go see what they have now. I'd suggest the Delux Challenger Kit, I didn't see the price but a lot less that any other I know of and does the same job! Went back and looked. Midway has the Challenger kit for $117 then they also have the dial caliper's, seem's to me they start right at $25.

I'd highly recommend a single stage press. They are extremely easy to use, force you to learn good habits and will make extremely consistent loads. Like others have said your options are damn near limitless and you can name your own price. If you decide to go turret, which is not necessary for your intended use, I'd recommend getting your hands on a few to feel them out. Some are made "tighter" than others, but usually come at a premium. Technically speaking the turret presses mentioned/praised by someone a couples replies up are single stage. So to say single stage presses suck is kind of a head scratcher.

Unless you want to reload as a hobby or really want to play around with different loads, I would just buy a good premium factory load if its only for 1 caliber. I load for 4 calibers and have had good luck reloading but its tuff to beat the quality in today's factory loads. But if you have the time and shoot a lot, it can be a fun hobby. I have the basic RCBS kit that goes for somewhere around $300.

I bought a Lee kit several years ago for $150 off Amazon and I still use it with both my rifle, including my 270. There's nothing wrong with that press but I would replace a few items from the kit before I even started. First off, throw that beam scale in the trash and get a digital one, the best you could afford. I run the Hornady scale and it works fine. Second, get a set of Lyman case prep tools, excellent tools that will make case prep faster. Lastly, stay stocked up on Hornady One Shot case lube, H4831, and primers. H4831 or H4831SC are very common powders used for the 270 and work with most bullet weights in that caliber.

I wholeheartedly agree with Gunner, you will have to load a lot of ammo before you will start to see any savings but you end up with better quality ammo tailored to your rifle for your specific needs. The first time you drop the hammer on that critter in your crosshairs with a bullet that you meticulously weighed, measured, and loaded it adds a whole new sense of pride and self reliance knowing you now have the tools and knowledge to keep your rifle, and family, fed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back