Time for a new state!

CForest

I am ready to start applying in another state. Just looking for some guidance on where to start trying for. I am from northeast montana, and have hunted elk in the Missouri river breaks all my life. I have listened to all the podcasts and read as much on here as my eyes can hack for a while so I have a general understanding of how the different states work. I would be looking for a rifle hunt, with archery season used as scouting where permitted. My thoughts are Wyoming or Colorado primarily because of reasonable application/point costs and also travel distances are pretty decent. Here is the catch, I am just not a mountain hunter. We have tried it and its just not for me. Just seems like most of my experience isn't relevant in the mountains. Those of you that have hunted the breaks know it can get pretty rough, but not necessarily a lot of elevation change. Also the timber is a lot more sparse and patchy. So before I start applying/buying points is there a place out there that I am looking for? I just don't want to spend the time and money on something to find out never existed down the road. I don't expect to get a tag in an area like this that would have some trophy potential every year or 2, but is 4-8 realistic?? I really don't think I want to get into something that may take 10-15 years either! Really not a guided hunt guy for multiple reasons, but I would entertain the idea of a drop camp if it was worth it. Not necessarily looking for someone to give me specific areas, just need some reassurance that I'm not chasing a pipe-dream. Not stuck on just Wyoming or Colorado either, I am certainly open to suggestions. They just seem to make the most sense. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

I would say that you have the right idea and probably should focus on south central Wyoming and northern Colorado.
If I were you an Idaho hunt for deer or elk thrown in the mix is a good fall back plan while you build points.
You sure live in a good location for options.

Where about's in NE MT? I am from that part of the state also.
Don't over look SE Idaho or SC Idaho, both are not huge mountains. Both I think would fit the bill that you are wanting, but check out google earth. It is your friend, give's a pretty good look on how steep and big the mountains are along with the kind of cover it holds. This should help you out. Good luck,
Matt

About an hour ne of glasgow. I have actually spent a fair amount of time in southern idaho snowmobiling with some locals. We have talked about it and they kinda discouraged me from it. They are older folks tho and not diehard elk hunters by anymeans. We see quite a few along the interstate (thats early February tho.) They just gave me the impression of the better opportunities being on private ground and wasnt worth the hassle or $$ for a non residents. But maybe they just didn't want any more people in their spots haha

So since I have a little while to get my first Wyoming preference point, I have been listening to a bunch more podcasts while sitting on the combine. I am starting to think new mexico may be the better option?? It is much further away, but if I need to build a ton of points (hard to really know in some units as the min points req keeps rising) maybe my odds really aren't much worse in NM. While looking at some draw odds it appears even as a non resident my odds aren't much worse than a resident here in the MT drawings, not considering the bonus point system we have. Thinking of rolling the dice on of the top teir units and living with the results. Thoughts??

IIRC the pronghorn hunting in NM is much different than in WY, in that you are assigned a ranch to hunt and only that ranch. That could be a good thing or it might not be...

Doh! I missed that. Be sure to know that only 6% of tags go to DIY non-residents. If you are willing to hire a guide you have a shot at a larger pool of tags.

Back