Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hornady GMX

I've shot the GMX in my .270 and my 30-06. They seem to work fine in my .270 (130 grains) but I wasn't getting the expansion in my 30-06 (150 grains) that I was accustomed to with Barnes TSX. IMO they don't seem to expand quite as much and my '06 was more accurate with the Barnes. I still shoot the GMX in my .270. They are very accurate in that gun.

I think the key to good performance with any monolithic bullet is to keep them light for caliber to keep velocity up to ensure expansion. You might struggle with that in the .308 if you go higher than 150 grains.

I've shot a bunch of whitetails with the GMX in 150g 30.06. Great bullet, very happy with the performance, good blood trails, never had a deer go further than ~50 yds. Most go less than 20 yds.

IMO they don't seem to expand quite as much and my '06

My understanding is that this is the tradeoff between the GMX and TSX, GMX has less copper fouling with its gilding alloy (which the TSX tries to overcome with its grooves) but the gilding alloy is harder, resulting in a little less expansion.

Worst performaning bullet I've ever used. Pencil holes through elk, mule deer and antelope. No blood trails and extended death runs by animals. I shot five big game animals one fall before I gave up on them.

x2. tiny exit holes and the sst are the same story. took my elk 10 minutes to die this year with a perfect double lung shot. clean pass through.

penetration has been good. but not even close to enough expansion. the tip frags and the major remainder exits with a tiny hole.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back