Hornady GMX

I've used the GMX the Barnes TTSX and the Nosler E-tip. Similar performance from all three. They all retain most of their weight upon recovery (rare). I think Barnes is the best of the lot, they started cutting grooves in the shank to reduce copper fouling and reduce pressures. The Barnes shoot best out of my rifles. But I have a new (to me) Remington 660 in .243...I'll have to see what works best in it.

I've used the GMX the Barnes TTSX and the Nosler E-tip. Similar performance from all three. They all retain most of their weight upon recovery (rare). I think Barnes is the best of the lot, they started cutting grooves in the shank to reduce copper fouling and reduce pressures. The Barnes shoot best out of my rifles. But I have a new (to me) Remington 660 in .243...I'll have to see what works best in it.

Barns jacket is supposed to be pure copper. I read that that is why they went to those groves. The Hornady and Nosler are guilding metal and don't foul like pure copper.

The GMX has performed great on some hogs out of my 280 Remington... Haven't recovered any bullets yet but the internal organ damage on them was on par with the Barnes TTSX which i love also... I haven't shot any deer with the GMX yet but plan to this coming season although I am thinking it is probably too tough of a bullet to drop them fast like the SST's and accubonds have done for me...

I shot some goats in Hawaii with the GMX out of a .308 Win. Worked just fine. I've also used the Barnes extensively on a bunch of hogs and some sheep. The terminal performance on most of the non-lead bullets is pretty similar. Really depends on what shoots the best for your rifle. What caliber are you looking at trying it in?

Never tried a non-lead bullet before. I'm kinda thinking of some things to try that I wouldn't mind shooting a bull elk with. I've had trouble getting partitions to group before so I'm just exploring what's out there a little. As time allows.

Never tried a non-lead bullet before. I'm kinda thinking of some things to try that I wouldn't mind shooting a bull elk with. I've had trouble getting partitions to group before so I'm just exploring what's out there a little. As time allows.

Barnes 168 TTSX will work really good in that .308

Worst performaning bullet I've ever used. Pencil holes through elk, mule deer and antelope. No blood trails and extended death runs by animals. I shot five big game animals one fall before I gave up on them.

Worst performaning bullet I've ever used. Pencil holes through elk, mule deer and antelope. No blood trails and extended death runs by animals. I shot five big game animals one fall before I gave up on them.

Hmmm...that's strange. Every Barnes X that I've ever recovered were perfect mushrooms. Never had an animal go more than 50 yds at the most after being shot.

Are you referring to the GMX or the TTSX?

I'm late to this party but I like the GMX.

165 gr in 30-06 has done very well for me on elk. Good grouping with factory ammo too.

The gmx bullets have high BC's and when they're loaded in superformance ammo they are screaming. Which I've found is necessary with copper bullets, at least on small deer sized game. We're forced to use lead free here in California and the loaded GMX ammo is the best one we've found. Having said that when I go hunting out of state the lead free GMX stays at home because from what I've seen it doesn't perform as well as traditional lead ammo.

I know that. I wasn't wondering why they think their bullets are better. I was hoping for some personal experience on how they're a "better" animal killer than the GMX, TTSX, or E-Tip. Likely they just cost more because of each bullet being weighed and miced.

One great thing is if you call, the guy that owns the company and actually hands on makes the bullets will answer the phone and answer any questions. They have lots of documented kills from wolves to moose, and African game as well. I'll find a link that explains things pretty well and pm it to you. mtmuley

Yup. They worked.
Started using Hornady factory GMX loads in two rifles a couple years ago.
My 7x57, in 139 grain has accounted for a WTD doe.
My wife's 7mm08 in 139 grain has taken two whitetail bucks.
7x57 is a Ruger #1 international, 7mm08 is a Winchester 70 featherweight.
Both rifles do well on paper with the loads.

Yup. They worked.
Started using Hornady factory GMX loads in two rifles a couple years ago.
My 7x57, in 139 grain has accounted for a WTD doe.
My wife's 7mm08 in 139 grain has taken two whitetail bucks.
7x57 is a Ruger #1 international, 7mm08 is a Winchester 70 featherweight.
Both rifles do well on paper with the loads.

I like your choice of calibers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back