270 Win barrel length

RkyMtnELK

Question on barrel length, I like the Howa 1500, 22" bbl. with the Hogue stock. Weatherby Vanguard has a 24" bbl. it has a generic synthetic stock. The rifle will be used for Elk and Oryx, if a permit can be drawn. Also some 300 + yard hole punching. New Mexico will be the place of use. Any comments ? Thanks, Jerry

If you like the 22, go with it, I don't think the 270 win benefits significantly from an additional 2". In general certain magnums perform better with a 24 or even 26, but also with todays powders that's not as necessary as it was in the 40's-50's and 60's when many chamberings were developed.

Great choice. The ol' 270 has lost some love to the 6.5s and 7 mms, but it remains an excellent option for 30-06 power w better ballistics and less recoil. IMO it is a better choice for elk-size game than the 6.5s, and is faster than 7-08 w same weight bullets. I tried 160, 150, and settled on 140 gr partition bullets for elk @ ranges to 300+ yds. Other rifles prefer monos or bonded bullets. For longer shots @ elk-size game, my 7 RM is ballistically the 270 plus 100 yards, w any bullet weight. A light 270 will throw some recoil, so a quality pad is helpful. Good luck. BTW, 22 in. barrel on my Stevens 200 270, very handy size.

I have a 22" barrel on my 270. I wish that it had a 24" barrel on it everytime I shoot it.

I have 22 inch 270's and they are just find. If you are a paper junkie, as in, just need every gun to look best on ballistic charts, than the 24 inch tube will give a little more velocity theoretically. However, no animal will know the difference. The difference between a slow and fast barrel will be far greater than 2 inches of barrel.

Would you care to elaborate?

I haven't been able to get the speed and therefore the performance out of it as I do my rifles with 24" barrels.

Getting everything out of a cartridge may not matter to some folks, but it does to me.

Great choice. The ol' 270 has lost some love to the 6.5s and 7 mms, but it remains an excellent option for 30-06 power w better ballistics and less recoil. IMO it is a better choice for elk-size game than the 6.5s, and is faster than 7-08 w same weight bullets. I tried 160, 150, and settled on 140 gr partition bullets for elk @ ranges to 300+ yds. Other rifles prefer monos or bonded bullets. For longer shots @ elk-size game, my 7 RM is ballistically the 270 plus 100 yards, w any bullet weight. A light 270 will throw some recoil, so a quality pad is helpful. Good luck. BTW, 22 in. barrel on my Stevens 200 270, very handy size.

I have both a 270 and a 6.5 CM and most of the time it's just a matter of which one I feel like packing that day. I've worked up a good elk load for my 270 where I haven't yet for my 6.5 so that's what I'll be taking this year. Next trip I make may be with a new 6.5mm, the question is do I build a 6.5 GAP 4S or buy a Browning x-bolt hells canyon in 26 Nosler?

I like having the muzzle blast being 2-4 inches further from my ears. As far as having a 24 or 26 inch barrel being clumsy, I have never heard of a shotgun with a 26 inch barrel being called that. GJ

I started with a 22 inch barrel on a ruger tanger 3006 and hunted with it 25 years. So thats my prefered length. My present Rem 700 xcrii has a 24. I am geting used to it but still seems long. I would chop it to 22 but it has that trinyte coating on from remington and I worry that cutting it will somehow mess that up and I dont think it can easily be repaired. I dont hate the extra 2 inches enough to mess with it.

24" on my 270win. I wouldn't change a thing on it. Worked up a great load for it years ago with the Nosler Accubond 140g.

I guess I'm psychologically bent for at least a 24" but not longer than 26. The 22" Montana 7-08 I traded away never felt 'right'....I know, crazy, but it is what it is.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back