MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My day in the UK

devon deer

A few weeks ago i managed to put Adam (Big Ears on this forum) onto a Salmon, i had never caught a Salt Water Bass on the fly, so he returned the favour, many thanks Adam.

We traveled up to the North coast around 50 miles away and met up with his brother, waited for the tide to turn and made our way down (you have to watch the tides, you can be cut off in an instant!) but the day didn't get of to a great start for me, i stumbled and fell, didn't think too much of it until i started fishing, i couldn't figure out why my cork was red, shredded my hand on the razor sharp barnacles:mad:

It was hard fishing, unless you could double haul you would have struggled in the strong wind, 5 hours, and we managed 3 bass and 2 mackerel, but it was great fun and i caught mine on a popper tied by Adam.
I caught the Mackerel on one of my flies, so its 2 more species for me to add to the list of fly caught fish, Bone fish in Cuba one day.

IMG_20170823_105017850.jpgIMG_20170823_123547428.jpgIMG_20170823_144919166.jpg

Cheers

Richard

Couldn't really tell by pic,but is it a striped bass??They start working their way down the coast soon.Lot of fun to fish them just passed the breaking waves

Richard,
Looks like a fun time was had by all. How big do those bass usually weigh? Do they spend most of their time feeding on bait fish along the surface or are they usually suspended in the rock and kelp beds most of the time?

Cool. Is that a marshmallow in the fishes mouth?
I will ask my mate, he tied it for me!:)

Very nice. Looks like a bit of a bleak day. Is that a normal day there? weather wise
An hour later it was blue skies, lots of showers that day.

Couldn't really tell by pic,but is it a striped bass??They start working their way down the coast soon.Lot of fun to fish them just passed the breaking waves
I guess it can be described as a striped Atlantic bass

You mess with Slovenia for those golden trout reference your species goal?
Tempting, one of my other friends tells me i must fish there, he has had some great fishing there.

Richard,
Looks like a fun time was had by all. How big do those bass usually weigh? Do they spend most of their time feeding on bait fish along the surface or are they usually suspended in the rock and kelp beds most of the time?
They come in on the tide, close into shore, its easy to cast too far, you see the bait fish jumping out of the water when bass are hunting, the stocks have crashed over the years, a specimen would be 12lb, but thats a dream fish!
BTW Sawtooth, one of the stags we saw had a lucky escape this evening, 100 yards away but sky lined, it is HUGE!
Cheers
Richard

They come in on the tide, close into shore, its easy to cast too far, you see the bait fish jumping out of the water when bass are hunting, the stocks have crashed over the years, a specimen would be 12lb, but thats a dream fish!
BTW Sawtooth, one of the stags we saw had a lucky escape this evening, 100 yards away but sky lined, it is HUGE!
Cheers
Richard[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to seeing the grip and grin photo on that big fella when you get him on your next trip out.

Not a bad 24 hours, got my friend his first ever deer, taught a husband and wife how to fly fish, and i went out last night for a Sea Trout in my local river, caught 2 and returned 1 to the river, a great 24 hours
IMG_1394.jpgIMG_20170901_132643004.jpgIMG_20170901_132656055.jpgIMG_20170901_213723256.jpg
Cheers
Richard

Great 24 hours indeed. Was the buck one of the ones from the group you saw earlier in the week? Nice fish as well. How long will the sea trout run up the river?

Great 24 hours indeed. Was the buck one of the ones from the group you saw earlier in the week? Nice fish as well. How long will the sea trout run up the river?

Nope, never seen this buck before. The run of fish is drying up a bit, once the temperature drops they will think about spawning, end of November.
Our fishing season on my river finishes end of September until March next year.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, another thought for you on the bone fish front is the Island I have gone to the last couple of years- Eleuthera. I can't get enough of the spot. I only did reef fishing there but had a good time and the Island is beautiful and in-touristy. Let me know if you want some info on it. BTW, the hurricane missed them ;)

Richard, another thought for you on the bone fish front is the Island I have gone to the last couple of years- Eleuthera. I can't get enough of the spot. I only did reef fishing there but had a good time and the Island is beautiful and in-touristy. Let me know if you want some info on it. BTW, the hurricane missed them ;)

Thanks, I just googled it, looks stunning, not sure how easy it would be to travel there from the UK, i will look into though. I would love to catch a bonefish.
Cheers
Richard

You would fly into Florida (we go through Fort Lauderdale) and take a little hop....pretty easy ;)
Thanks, I just googled it, looks stunning, not sure how easy it would be to travel there from the UK, i will look into though. I would love to catch a bonefish.
Cheers
Richard

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back