Which pack? Sitka or Mystery Ranch Metcalf

jones39

Looking to purchase a new pack for my Colorado 3rd season elk hunt. Looking at the Sitka bivy 30 or the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Which one would you all suggest?

For a do all including hauling meat the MR is the better choice

I love my longbow from MR (replaced by pintler). The Metcalf looks nicer for longer trips but can still get small.

If you are limiting yourself to only those two (a mistake in my opinion), the MR would definitely be the better choice.

If you are limiting yourself to only those two (a mistake in my opinion), the MR would definitely be the better choice.

I would be curious what others would you recommend outside the scope of the MR and Sitka? Thanks.

I would be curious what others would you recommend outside the scope of the MR and Sitka? Thanks.

Mystery Ranch makes bombproof packs, but they tend to be on the heavy side. I'd add the following to the list if you are researching packs:

Stone Glacier
Exo
Kifaru
Seek Outside
Kuiu

I've owned Kifaru and currently own a Stone Glacier and love them both. I have friends that have Exo packs and are impressed with them. I've heard good things about SO but don't personally know anyone who owns one.

Good luck! I wouldn't be afraid to explore the used market for packs. There are some great deals to be had and I know from experience that the customer service of Kifaru and Stone Glacier are such that I wouldn't be one bit nervous about owning a used one.

Just a quick look at 6000 cu in packs from Stone Glacier vs MR is 4.5 lbs vs 7.1 lbs.

2.5 lbs is a big deal if you plan to carry it around all day in the mountains.

Comparable Exo pack is in between at 5.4 lbs.

Was looking at the Metcalf and EXO K3500. Ordered the 3500 today. Like the side pockets for spotting scopes and the floating lid.

Mystery Ranch, all the way. Those Sitka packs look (and feel) like a Chinese knock-off you'd find at Cabelas.

Go for the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. It is Randy-approved, as well as countless other hunters on this site approved. It can work for 4-5 days or be cinched down for a long day hunt. It can haul heavy duty loads, is built to last, and will suit your needs very well.

You won't regret it!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back