New to Hunt Talk - female hunter

desertsage

Hi everyone,

Been wanting to join this community for a while and finally getting around to it. I started hunting as an adult and I'm self-taught. At the time I decided to learn, I didn't know any other hunters. The prospect of trying to find my way into the hunting community as 1) a total outsider, 2) a woman, 3) an relative "urbanite" was certainly intimidating at first. Thanks to the wonders of the internet (and forums like this one), I was able to learn a lot on my own. After a lot of trial and error, my hunting partner (and now husband) and I finally figured out how to hunt southern CA mule deer. A few years ago, I shot my first buck in a deep desert canyon in BLM wilderness.

I can now say that western backpack hunting is one of my absolute favorite things. Unfortunately, we had to leave CA last year and are 1 year into a 3-year stint in New England for work. As soon as that's done, we're planning to move back west, though exactly where has yet to be determined. I see this forum as a chance to talk about and think about mule deer, public lands, the great basin, etc, to help maintain my connection to these things while I'm stuck on the other side of the country.

-R

Hi everyone,

Been wanting to join this community for a while and finally getting around to it. I started hunting as an adult and I'm self-taught. At the time I decided to learn, I didn't know any other hunters. The prospect of trying to find my way into the hunting community as 1) a total outsider, 2) a woman, 3) an relative "urbanite" was certainly intimidating at first. Thanks to the wonders of the internet (and forums like this one), I was able to learn a lot on my own. After a lot of trial and error, my hunting partner (and now husband) and I finally figured out how to hunt southern CA mule deer. A few years ago, I shot my first buck in a deep desert canyon in BLM wilderness.

I can now say that western backpack hunting is one of my absolute favorite things. Unfortunately, we had to leave CA last year and are 1 year into a 3-year stint in New England for work. As soon as that's done, we're planning to move back west, though exactly where has yet to be determined. I see this forum as a chance to talk about and think about mule deer, public lands, the great basin, etc, to help maintain my connection to these things while I'm stuck on the other side of the country.

-R

Welcome, R.

It would be great to provide a link where folks could read the story of your deer. I have read it and it is very remarkable. Or, copy and paste the story here.

Thanks for signing up. Look forward to visiting with you/yours again when you get out west.

Welcome! We love reading a hunt recap, especially when we are stuck at work. Congrats on figuring out so much on your own. I learn new things every adventure and have saved some grief by getting advice here. Is nice when are to the point you barely need a checklist to gather all the items together for the adventure and the pace of the hunt is second nature. At that point, can focus on the hunting. If my feet stay dry and my ears warm then I am a happy camper. Took me a few hunts to get the right gear and appreciate how much easier and more comfortable even crappy weather could be as a result. Good luck on your upcoming adventures.

Welcome!! I was stationed in England for a bit and you will enjoy it. More wildlife than you would expect. If you have any questions about England I would be glad to try and answer. Also, check out Devon Deer on here (Richard). He is active on the forums and is a VERY active deer hunter in England, I bet he might be some help at trying to find a way to hunt while you are over there.

Welcome aboard. Where in New England? There's nothing like the big woods of norther VT, NH, and Maine. The deer hunting is hard but I guarantee you can be just as remote there as most places out west. Snowshoe hares and grouse (partridge) are dang fun too. Several guys from that area that are on this forum I've been a few time hunting and a bunch camping and fishing. Its different when you can only see 50 feet verses 50 miles but I find it to be equally beautiful and fulfilling as my western hunts.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back