My Nozler reloading manual number 3 lists
64 gr most start, 68 gr MAX

My SPEER manual 11 lists
66 gr start, 70 gr MAX

The range for MAX is 66 to 73 gr
The range for start is 62 to 66 gr
so SPEER start is MAX at nosler.com....

Should I start working up from 62 gr?

What ever manual you use, start low and work up. For all you know the max from any may be more than you want to push your rifle!

My pet load is 66 gr imr 4350 behind a 180 gr Nosler partition, thru a 26" barreled pre 64 Model 70

TSX is a pretty "slippery" bullet, IMO, which means it will take a few more grains than some other bullets. I'd be ok with starting higher than Nosler's numbers.

Have you looked at data specific to the TSX? That is going to be your best bet. But remember that lot to lot variations in can occur, so just because a certain load worked in the test rifle doesn't mean it will in yours.

Monolithic bullets usually take less powder than a lead bullet of the same grain. Call Barnes and ask them for the load data but 66gr would be a good starting point IMO.

Monolithic bullets usually take less powder than a lead bullet of the same grain. Call Barnes and ask them for the load data but 66gr would be a good starting point IMO.

Barnes will usually take more. Nosler E Tips, less.

Since the TSX isn't a Nosler bullet, I'd do as suggested and call Barnes. Nosler recommends a reduction from their standard load data when using the E-Tip. 62 grains would probably be safe as a start, but I'd check first. If you are looking for velocity and low pressures, check out Hammers. mtmuley

Since the TSX isn't a Nosler bullet, I'd do as suggested and call Barnes. Nosler recommends a reduction from their standard load data when using the E-Tip. 62 grains would probably be safe as a start, but I'd check first. If you are looking for velocity and low pressures, check out Hammers. mtmuley

Thanks.
Every rifle is different so I'm starting with 62.0 gr.

I found it interesting that the published range was so great at a starting load (62.0 - 66.0 gr)
(For Winchester 300 mag the published starting load ranged by 1.0 gr
from the same sources for 180 gr bullet, IMR 4831 (69.0, 69.0, 69.0, 70.0)

Last edited:
From Barnes #4 manual. 180 TSX/MRX

Starting load IMR4831 63.5

Max Load 68

Thanks..I assume that is for 300 H & H and not 300 Win Mag?

Going out first thing in the morning tomorrow, starting at 64.0 up to 66.0 by 0.5 gr

Groupings so far have been ~.30 inch at 100 yards which will be fine for moose
(never shot one over 100 yards as I love to call)

With my rifle got high pressure signs at 65.5 gr so backed down to 64.0.
Shot my final 3 shots with shooting sticks and I'm happy with the grouping.

On to field shooting with sticks, pack, off-hand for a few sessions.
Moose hunt for me is Sept 15-25.

you might want to call Barnes and discuss powder bullet combination, i was just on their website and they do not list anything using IMR4831 for the 300 H&H, not to say you can't, but better to be safe than sorry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back