PEAX Equipment

Eastern Montana mule deer outlook around miles city,broadus,ashland,

Dl1969

Wondering what to expect? Read they were coming back,what age class buck am I looking at,on public,nov 9-19. Thanks for any info.

Lots of hunting pressure but lots of deer. A 3.5 year old buck would be a great deer on public land in those areas. Good luck!

The deer are still coming back. It still isn't close to what it was back in 2006. You will still have to work to find a decent buck. Decent depends on your perception.

Every time I have hunted eastern Montana I have had zero problems finding lots of decent quality deer..in fact usually the bigger problem is picking the right one knowing that the next draw might hold a bigger one.

I'm not to worried about filling my tag,but I would like my son to fill his with a decent mulie,we've both got nice whitetail,I was mainly a bow hunter till recently

I hunted in that general region last year for 3 days. I kept track of what I saw for bucks and I saw about 40 bucks in those 3 days. 37 of them would have been under 100". 1 was maybe 120, one 130 and one probably in the mid 150's. Although a guy shot one that was a solid 165" off a Type II Block Management. I'm sure there are better areas than that but that'll give you an idea of what you can possibly expect.

any guys have much luck right after the rifle opener? Due to work that might be my only window to hunt though I'm trying to leave a late november hunt open in case I can't get it done the first week... this is my first muley hunt ever and I'm doing it solo

I'll be over there during that same time period. PM me for my number and we can compare notes. I am pretty optimistic about this fall, I don't know what your requirements for a buck are but filling it should not be an issue. If you want a 160"+ might go home empty. Personally I am looking for that better buck and am prepared to eat my tag if need be.

Tag soup always tastes better to me than forkie surprise.

YMMV.

I dunno . I've hunted montana for deer for 10 years now and brought home a buck pretty much every time, only one time less than a 4x4 , few years ago I passed all kinds of 18-22" bucks and last day a semi blizzard hit and only buck I could find right at sun down was a fork so he made the trip home with me as I can't imagine how mad my wife would be if I came home with nothing . She loves venison . Sorry I just won't feel bad about it . Honestly I feel worse about taking home a up and coming 18" 4x4 than a fork .

Minnesotans, two point bucks by the roads, dust, wind or snow. Lots of bitching 'it ain't how it was in x years'.
Good beer and steak in broadus. Crappy but cheap hotels. Same with Ashland.
Don't camp on the res.

You are going to see lots and lots of fork horns on public land near the road and decent bucks on private near the road. don't be afraid to stretch your legs when you are seeing any type of deer on public. If you stay in the truck and keep driving looking for a nice one you will put a lot of miles on the pickup if your hunting public. Don't be afraid to get out and walk when you are seeing deer from the road. Best advice I can give you good luck.

I apparently missed the boom of good hunting in that part of the state, but it was certainly good in the 90s. Over the years, the farthest places from the roads have become the hardest hunted. You're going to need more than hard work and luck to find a big pot bellied, gray faced old mule deer buck. You'll need somewhat of a miracle. Everybody's definition of "decent bucks," "quality hunting experience", and "crowds" are different.

Its just the "cycle" of (mostly) non-res hunting pressure. Someone kills a giant bull and someone else films a show. Interest gets focused on a particular area for a while until it gets so intense that the hunt quality drops and everybody starts looking for other spots.

After a few rough years, the Breaks seem to be getting a bit of a break. Now everyone is down in the Custer. In a few years the pressure will focus somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back