Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Montana bma access 2017

Dl1969

Tried calling a few type 2 bma's this morning only to hear I'm booked that week or I got guys coming in and I let them hunt till they get something,did I read the rules wrong or something,type 2 seems fishy to me now,any suggestions for a first time Montana hunter taking his wife and son,we all have deer tags.should I just stick to public,going week nov9-19,,region 7

It's a pretty common complaint. It's very suspicious how a lot of places are booked within minutes for the entire season (some spots are known for good hunting so they obviously book quick but others seem suspect). I'd start looking into other options.

https://onyourownadventures.com/hun...ry!/page2&highlight=Block+Management+Thievery

Good to know that nothing has changed. I followed the process over this and filed a formal complaint to ALL the right people. The bottom line is they will not do anything about it. They care more about having the enrollment numbers than the actual goal of the program.

There's some great things about MT block management, but it is certainly mismanaged and abused by many, and the FWP leadership really could give a crap.

My favorites are the BMAs that have cabins on them to rent and you're in the process of signing up and everything is kosher until you say you'll be camping in a tent on nearby public land and then I get the "my husband just walked in and turns out we're actually full that week."

I actually wrote a finely factual crafted letter to the regional Block Management Coordinator, Regional Wildlife Manager, Regional Supervisor, and FWP State Landowner/Sportsman Coordinator, precisely following this process: http://www.mtrules.org/gateway/ruleno.asp?RN=12.4.210

I must say the BM coordinators I spoke to in person about it listened, there's clearly some politics and tail tucking from those in the senior chain.

The whole program needs a house cleaning with these kinds of things going on.

My complaint resulted in a professionally crafted letter from the State Coordinator about how Mr. Thief and his family have been involved in the MT FWP's Block Mgt program for so many years, and their records show X hunter days, and X hunter satisfaction. I was thanked for my concern, and it was suggested that I Mr. Thief again, later in the season :), and keep in mind ultimately it's Mr. Thief's decision to choose who he allows to hunt and not to hunt.

One BMA I tried unsuccessfully to get on for a couple of years, then while signing-up with one of the FWP administered units I asked the warden about it, he suggested I call from a Montana phone because the land owner doesn't take out-of-state calls very often.

I started talking to BMA land owners last year in preparation for this year. I found some of them were as described as above. Other are as nice as can be and want you to be successful. I have never stepped foot in MT and this will be my first Elk trip. Knowing that, I have had one go out of her way to help and accommodate which is more than I could of ever asked for. When my maps didn't show for this mornings reservation land grab and I didn't have the BMA area breakdown or numbers she walked me thru it over the phone and explained each area in detail. Just because there are some bad apples on a tree don't discount the whole orchard.

I wanted to revive this thread as it stuck with me this season as I hunted several BMAs. I can say that out of the 4 that I had interest in all 4 had opportunities at great animals and had great managers who were playing by the rules. I got very fortunate to have a guy fail to show on a piece and the manager called me to come and hunt it. The next day I killed my bull. I met with one of the region 7 BMA Techs who grants permission and he was an awesome guy. We were driving thru and had one day in SE Montana to kill some freezer meat. He not only guided us into the BMA from Broadus but also showed us the best spots on the ranch. He went out of his way to see us succeed. I had never met or talked to Mike before that and he was a hell of a guy. For everyone searching this thread in the future, please know there are some great people and great animals to be had in the BMAs type 1 or 2. C57BCD79-D5CB-4B02-B9EA-6006F71D0621.jpgE11FDF23-044C-4B67-8C9F-D7EA0105EC60.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chughes
Back