Looking for Career Change ?

Trigger50

I'm going out in left field but it doesn't hurt to pursue every avenue....I'm putting the word out I'm looking for a diff career/job if anyone has any leads for me. I live in the St Paul area of MN. I probably can't relocate at this time. I'm looking to work 30 hrs a week. Of course I wouldn't mind working in the outdoors industry but not necessary.
I have a sterling attendance record. PM me if you have any leads. Thanks

Try usajobs.gov, governmentjobs.com

Search by state (Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, etc)

OP - Adding skills, experience, salary expectations and areas of interest to this post would certainly improve the chances of useful replies.

Hey Trigger, you're hitting the mark for my current feels. I'm a young buck, 31 years of failures, and currently a low step lineman apprentice. End state, the job would pay 100k without any OT, but it comes with weeks on the road, ornery bosses, and just a general roughness to life. I'm no stranger to hard work, demeaning bosses, and being gone, as I did 6 years Active Duty in the Army, but something about this current career path has spun me into a dark place. I miss my wife, my truck racks up miles faster than ever, and the locations are subpar. I'm struggling to find my dream job, one that pays enough to put a little something aside and not live paycheck to paycheck, without my soul hurting as payment. I really wish I could be an outdoor writer, but I'm afraid it's too late to make that life altering decision and not live in a cardboard box while I make a name for myself. I too, am from MN, the metro area. If you're interested in the electrical lineman field shoot me a PM. If not, chase the dream brother. Life is far too short to not do so.

I'm in the same boat. Live in Chicago, fed up with my current job and want to move west and (potentially) change careers while still being able to afford to live. Unfortunately my current industry (corporate investigations) does not seem to pay very well outside of LA, Chicago, NYC, etc.

I don't think there is a Law Enforcement Agency/Dept. anywhere in the US that is not actively recruiting...

I do water treatment for a living, and to be honest with you its a good gig. Im not sure what MN requirements are for the field, but I have been getting a lot of job openings in the range of $30 to $40 an hour all with vacation, medical and 401k plans. Im a pretty young at 28 and I have been doing this since I was 18 so maybe I just dont know any better, but in the next 5 to 10 years I have been told that some 30% to 40% of the guys in this field will be headed for retirment. Also keep in mind I am State certified in this field.

As bwcatripper has said, lineman is a great trade and really good pay. It also owns you with the overtime. I am a power plant operator / control room operator. Another very good paying job if you can get into a plant somewhere and work your way up. Both of these jobs are not for everyone though. I'm currently just over 750 hours of overtime this year and stressed beyond belief but fall is coming and that is where all my vacation is. Thinking of fall keeps me kinda sane...…. That said neither job will be under 40 hours a week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back