MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Scouting/Listening for Moose at night

F

fwagner

I'm assuming moose are more active with calling and movements at night then they are during the day. Is heading out at night to listen for calling cows a legit strategy for scouting a new area when moose hunting? I'm thinking about taking the boat out and moving around our lake we will be hunting and quietly listening for calls and then going there in the morning? Thoughts? Thanks!!!

They definitely talk at night, would be worth it to listen. They can cover alot of ground though before daylight.

My experience is limited to a couple of weeks during the two seasons I was able to participate in the moose hunt in the BWCA Wilderness in Minnesota, but we never heard a single cow call at night. We'd hear them the first couple of hours in the morning and at last light in the evening, but nothing during the middle of the night. That said, it's very possible that it could be an effective tactic and certainly won't hurt your chances as long as it doesn't keep you from getting up early the next morning. (I'd highly recommend shooting a moose in the morning if possible) It's definitely worth sneaking up on a cow if you hear her calling because there is a good chance a bull will be in the area.

We heard a cow calling across the lake one morning on and off for about an hour. There was no way to get there in time with all of the deadfall, but we returned to the area for the evening hunt. My dad let out a couple of cow calls of his own and within about 10 minutes we had this guy on the ground.

0100.jpg

The only cow calling I heard last year was in the middle of the afternoon, mid rut. Like NoWiser said, we used it as an opportunity to move in on her. We ended up in thick brush on top of her and two bulls, one of which is the one I shot. You could've heard her from a good mile away with the racket she was making.

I was dropped 100 miles inland for moose in Alaska so I had the chance to sleep with them.I never heard any cows or bulls at night.I can tell you,we would on some nights make cow calls,and that seemed to bring some bulls into the area the next morning.They are definitely nothing like elk.Elk keep me awake half the night with their calling.I would agree with trying to shoot one in the morning and away from any water

Back