Do I really need a Spotting Scope?

I couldn't care less what you're a fan of, it's my opinion, deal with it.

and yet you are wrong by a mile....hopefully OP disregards your opinion that hunters only need to see out to 200 yards. that is as off base as when guys say binos are not needed when hunting dark timber cuz everything is "close"

Last edited:
I use 12x50, your 10x will work just fine. A small Nikon or Leupy 50/60 mm spotter would also work well on an Elk hunt if you're in semi open country.
Evidently Randy never got the memo that a spotter was useless on an Elk hunt. He seems to use it on a daily basis.

Carried 12x42 binos for years thinking they were the best of both worlds. Good for across drainage glassing but suck in heavy timber. This year I've got 10x42 binos and a 14-45x60 spotter. Little more weight but feel it's worth it for my style hunting. It's a personal issue based on terrain, the way you hunt and the weapon you hunt with.

I advise would be get a really good pair of binos as eye strain will become an issue. I bought a pair of swaro 10x42 and the difference was incredible. I also bought a spotting scope too but agree that they are heavy but necessary sometimes.

Good luck!!

I carry 15x50 binos and a coupme years ago i pretty much shit the bed because i glassed a single elk but could confirm antlers or not and i wish i had a spotter to know then i woukd have put it to bed and got after it in the morning. Another group may have had a legal bull in it but not sire and that would have been a game changer as well. If you ask fin im pretty sure we know his answer!

Howdy. Well if you want to, you can hike those 2+ miles over there, on that distant ridge, only to find he is a rag horn and not what you where after.

I have never owned or used a spotting scope. No offense to any present company, but I'm not a hardcore trophey hunter, just a hunter-hunter. I like big antlers, but not enough to shell out the $ and pack the extra weight to be able to count points and estimate the length of those main beams from a mile away. I can tell through my 10X binos if its an animal I'm interested in or not.

Maybe I just haven't shot enough bulls and bucks to become all that picky. Someday I might really get into the challenge of a trophey hunt, but for me, I'm just not there yet. I'm generally pretty happy with raghorns. I seldom even pass on a cow if she's legal.

More than once I have spotted wolves or other hunters in the general area of the elk while using a spotter,either presenting an opportunity I wouldnt have seen through my binos or preventing a long wasted stalk..Nobody is saying you cant hunt without one but I wouldnt.Watching game way off with a spotter is just fun,if you havnt done it try it,you can learn alot.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back