Caribou Gear Tarp

Random Gear Questions

CTELK83

Figured i'd start a thread for people to as for opinions on what others have and haven't tried, along with what works.

My question is... I have a pair of danger boots, what type.of water resistant spray works best?

Sorry - not sure what a 'danger boot' is? Are you maybe talking about Danner brand? or about a boot designed for dangerous work (ie, steel toe)?

Generally, I find that some of the waxes and rub-in compounds work better than the spray-on products.

Thee are lots of opinions on this subject; I have had good luck with both Sno-Seal and Mink Oil.

Some of the boot manufacturers call for specific types of products depending on the type of leather and the finish used on the boot, so you might try checking with the manufacturer.

If you are referring to Danner boots, they do sell their own waterproofing. It is a gel that spreads on easily, and protects the leather and the stitching.

I generally don't like to put anything on me other than scentkiller. And I have my doubts on how well that works. I'd prefer to pack gaiters. For my canvas tent I use Kiwi camp dry.

Have a pair of Pronghorns, waterproofing lasted about 3 years. Moved on to Kenetreks this year. They fit better and are stiffer.
Love the Black Diamond poles I just picked up.

Whatever you decide to use, make sure you apply it often. I apply my waterproofing at least once a week during hunting season, and at the end of the season before putting them away. When I take them out at the start of the season, I apply another coat of the waterproof. It helps keep the leather from drying out and cracking, and the stitching seems to hold up better also.

I have been using Obenaufs leather treatment for awhile now and I think its great. It was designed by/for wild land firefighters. It helps waterproof the leather but also allows the leather to breathe.

Went with danners brand... seemed to have good reviews.
How about one man tents? I went with a fairly inexpensive tent since I'll only use it a week a year chasing elk when lucky. It weighs like 4.5lbs but no idea how well it will actually work.

I have been using mink oil for years, just have to apply it every 2 weeks of use.

Back