Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

first hard horn of the season seen

twodot

Out last evening right before dark keeping tabs on the local thirsty ungulates. Saw 16 bulls and only 2 had velvet on their antlers. Kinda gets a guy in the mood to be out in the hills.

Hey, twodot.

Hope you and family are doing well. Glad to hear you, your family, and the "homestead" survived the fire(s).

Hunter and I both drew antlerless elk permits for 410. So, we will be up in your area this rifle season. My brother and I did not draw the archery elk permits, so we won't be herding the elk around this year. Tie down a "big" bull for Hunter . . . . As he also drew an either sex elk permit. We have a busy hunting season ahead of us (1 moose permit, 1 either sex elk permit, 2 antlerless elk permits).

How, if any, did the Cryin fire and the Lodgepole fire affect HD 410? I heard the burn area is already growing "green" grass. Have the area gotten some moisture (thunderstorms?).

Say hello to the family and I hope you get some moisture and relief from the heat. We'll stop by when we are in the area and say "hello". Hopefully, you'll be around. :)

Take care.

Saw three yesterday a couple small 5s and a good 6,rubbed off but still white.Oh and 20 spikes still in velvet.

Watched 17 bulls yesterday.
All the big bulls had shed, about half of the 3.5 yrs and all of the spikes/ 2ptns still in velvet.
Crummy conditions for long range photos.
IMG_2254.jpg

IMG_2262.jpg

All three mature bulls we saw had moved in with the cows,a week before there were none.

Hey Schaaf and JMG, thank you for your consideration for us out here in the black. Things look pretty crispy here around the house and we have not had any measurable rain since the night all the fires broke out. (less than a hundredth) Things are not greening up here close to home, but anything that did not get burnt seems to be holding game like usual. Elk are, of course beginning to move into more of their fall pattern and areas. Not seeing hard horn on deer yet, but the bulls since I posted the other day have all been velvet free. (have not seen any spikes for a few days though) JMG, tell Hunter to get ready, we will be keeping a real hard watch on things from here on out. Bring him up, we have plenty of bunks and you all are welcome anytime.

I saw two bulls that had shed velvet on August 11th in Rocky Mountain national park! One had a bunch of velvet hanging all over his face. That was early I thought... but I loved it! Dunno if them being park elk influenced that or not.

Saw this nice buck stripping the velvet of on a fence post this morning.

Attachments

• DSCN1413.jpg
    DSCN1413.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 525
I would be more than happy to see a buck like that rubbing off in my unit later this week scouting.
Saw a big 6x6 that looked pretty much rubbed off at 1st light @ my place this morn. He was jumping the fence to neighbors as 4 cows & 2 calves walked around my finger of trees,so they were all down at my tank watering last night.

Cool picture antlerradar!

Bachelor heard has split up with a 5x5 with a broken main beam above the 3rds already.

The boys are getting anxious.

Smoke was so bad I only took a few pics and gave up.

Last of the preseason - good luck to all this weekend!

IMG_2310.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back