Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Late Season Cow Elk

ekimmob

I have a late season, December, hunt for cow elk. I've only been hunting elk for a few years, but managed to get a cow a few years ago. Though I can't help but feel like that was just luck. It is my understanding that the elk should be herding up at this time in the year and the best strategy for punching a tags is to get to an elevated position away from roads and find a place that you can glass from and essentially just wait till you find a herd for a spot a stalk type hunt. That all said, any other advice for bagging some delicious late season cow elk meat?

Depending on how close you are to agricultural fields, and the amount of snow you may want to look for elk coming down to feed in lower areas. This is especially true if there is plenty of snow up high. Just keep a good understanding of the agricultural areas around your hunting area. If late season is warm and nice, this may not work as well. The late sea on elk will travel to get from bedding to the ag fields - up to a couple miles every day.

Depends on your area. Our cow elk area is very open anyway and yes they herd up in pretty large groups here.
We do just what you stated get to a high point and look. No agriculture in our area the hunting pressure keeps them herded and moving all over the area. One day none and the next may bring hundreds. Just be patient.
Deep snow will affect their movements but it takes quite a bit. You'll find if your area has agriculture there may be a landowner who has a sanctuary for elk and doesn't allow hunting late season. Don't hunt their property line but be ready to see elk heading towards it. If mountainous they will head down with weather and pressure. Biologist will likely be able to tell you where they like to winter.

By that time they should be close to their winter range as long as there is enough snow in the hills to justify it. Like wytex said, I would try to figure out where they like to winter. A lot of the time that means private land, but you may be able to catch them going back and forth between private and public, especially if they are being hunted on that private land.

Ok, thanks guys. My hunt is in units that are both above 90% public land, so I am hoping that the elk don't have many places to hide on private.

Unit 70 Colorado this year for 4th season if anybody has any knowledge that they are willing to divulge would be greatly appreciated!

Back