When to use each call type

nontyp

Can someone shed some light onto this topic for me? I have been practicing my calls but i'm a little unsure when to use each type of call. I'm heading to NM in a few weeks on my first elk hunt.

Location Bugle-

Challenge Bugle-

Grunts-

Chuckles-

cow mews-

Etc... feel free to add any i may be missing.

I ll start Location bugle:2am

I have a follow up question to that. Do you feel it works better to locate bulls early in the night, say 9:30, or does it work better to wait until early in the AM?

Early morning. Theyll move from where they started the night. Locate closer to light. No guarantees they're going to be in the same area. 2-4am for locator. Use sparingly. Once located, put it away. Unless you have a good grasp of when and how to use the bugle, for a first hunt I'd only use it to locate. Once located and if they're talking play the wind. If they are talking you may not need to make any calls. Let them tell you where they are. You're bugle can be the most powerful tool you have. But unless you really know how and when to use it you can and will push bulls.

I'd check out elknut. Watch his vids and search for a few of his posts.

I hope you have a great time on your hunt. Since it this is your first elk hunt just keep in mind mistakes will happen. For most of us learning to call came through trial and many errors. One helpful hint when it comes to working with the bugle is learning to bark back. Elk bark like deer blow when they are about to bust out of dodge. If you can bark back quick enough it'll cause them to hesitate from running and could give you a shot. On younger animals they will sometimes move in closer to investigate. Giving you a better opportunity at a shot. Just a tactic to consider with this being your first elk hunt. Just do not bark unless they bark first, or you just ruined your chance.
Good luck out there.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will definitely check out elknuts youtube channel. He actually sent me an elk calling video and call so he has been very helpful to me. cant thank Elknut enough. I didn't realize he had a youtube channel.

Thanks guys! nontyp, you're welcome bud! You may want to consider our New APP. It covers the sounds you mentioned & a whole more info. They describe the message a cow or bull is sending using each specific sound along with short video clips on how to make the sound! There's even more on it, 15 sounds in total to date with more to come! At the end of this week we have 3 new 5 minute video clips on Cold Calling quiet elk, Advertising Sequence & the Breeding Sequence. All this are done in actual setups in the woods in the exact spots we've taken bulls. They will show you our setup & calling sequence & when to use them! There will be written content on each video. I think it's exactly what you're looking for! Here's a link! http://www.elknut.com/ElkNut-App.html

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks guys! nontyp, you're welcome bud! You may want to consider our New APP. It covers the sounds you mentioned & a whole more info. They describe the message a cow or bull is sending using each specific sound along with short video clips on how to make the sound! There's even more on it, 15 sounds in total to date with more to come! At the end of this week we have 3 new 5 minute video clips on Cold Calling quiet elk, Advertising Sequence & the Breeding Sequence. All this are done in actual setups in the woods in the exact spots we've taken bulls. They will show you our setup & calling sequence & when to use them! There will be written content on each video. I think it's exactly what you're looking for! Here's a link! http://www.elknut.com/ElkNut-App.html

ElkNut/Paul

Thanks Paul....exactly what I needed! Just bought it on the app store.

You can study all you want, but as MTNman said: you're going to have to walk in the woods and start making your own mistakes. Don't be afraid of that. It's a blast!

Elknut is a great resource. On top of that I would say look up what you can from Corey Jacobsen, Randy has a video of a elk hunt with him from last year. Corey runs the elk101 website and the university of elk hunting. I've probably learned as much from that course as I have in 15 years of in the field experience.

I have a follow up question to that. Do you feel it works better to locate bulls early in the night, say 9:30, or does it work better to wait until early in the AM?
I like to locate while they are comfortable in their feeding zone and get above them before light to intersect.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back