Yeti GOBOX Collection

Factory Pronghorn Options

VikingsGuy

A few weeks ago I sought recommendations on factory ammo recommendations from the PRONGHORN Forum. At the end of the string I summarized with the following. Thought this might be interesting to this Forum.

"Thanks for all the input. Basis this discussion I selected 5 different factory ammos for each of my two new 'lope guns (a .243 22" and a 25-06 24"). I used the general criteria for deer sized animals of >1,000 ftlbs energy and >2,000 fps at point of impact, and with a sectional density >0.210. I set a personal limit of a 350yd shot in a hunting setting. Certainly all 12 of these will certainly kill a 'lope. Now I just need to see which shoot best out of my particular guns and to correct for actual muzzle velocities. My final choice will be based upon maximum accuracy and minimum drift. Here is a chart of the basic ballistic info I am using. I will update with actual shooting results in a month or so.​

Ammochart.jpg

Soooo.... You made a spreadsheet of ammo choices for your rifle? Interesting. Good info I guess. Scratch the cost per round. mtmuley

Soooo.... You made a spreadsheet of ammo choices for your rifle? Interesting. Good info I guess. Scratch the cost per round. mtmuley

Useless for you veterans and your handloading bookis, but good context for those of us new to western style hunting. Any dry ammo in a proper caliber works when taking max 60 yds shots in the woods. So making sure I would have sufficient velocity to allow for expansion out to 350 yds was something I hadn't thought much about before. Learned a lot about BC and wind drift along the way. We all have to start somewhere.

Useless for you veterans and your handloading bookis, but good context for those of us new to western style hunting. Any dry ammo in a proper caliber works when taking max 60 yds shots in the woods. So making sure I would have sufficient velocity to allow for expansion out to 350 yds was something I hadn't thought much about before. Learned a lot about BC and wind drift along the way. We all have to start somewhere.

Like I said, good info. I wouldn't let cost be a factor though. mtmuley

Like I said, good info. I wouldn't let cost be a factor though. mtmuley

I agree. I was expecting a lot more spread of performance and cost. At this point it is about finding loads that like my guns and confirming expected velocities for BDC calculations.

Good ammo is good ammo East to West and everywhere in between.
Finding the load your rifle likes best is always the tuff part.
Till you shoot it down the range it's all guess work.

Chances are the velocity will be lower in your rifle compared to the factory spec's. Many times actual velocity's are less than the published numbers. Also the same load shot in different rifles will have a wide spread in fps. With everything being the same some barrels are just faster than others. So concentrate on an accurate load with a well constructed bullet, velocity should be the last factor in the decision.
Good luck,
Dan

Chances are the velocity will be lower in your rifle compared to the factory spec's. Many times actual velocity's are less than the published numbers. Also the same load shot in different rifles will have a wide spread in fps. With everything being the same some barrels are just faster than others. So concentrate on an accurate load with a well constructed bullet, velocity should be the last factor in the decision.
Good luck,
Dan

I agree, but I want to know the actual in my guns for setting my scope's BDC reticle lines.

You're overthinking this. All those rounds you listed are known antelope and deer killers. Just pick a couple for each rifle and see what shoots best in your rifles. No need for spreadsheets.

You're overthinking this. All those rounds you listed are known antelope and deer killers. Just pick a couple for each rifle and see what shoots best in your rifles. No need for spreadsheets.

In hindsight I would agree, but when I started I expected a much bigger variation between the choices. In part that assumption was based on all the "my ammo is better than your ammo" and "this BC vs that velocity vs this weight, vs this type of bullet expansion/terminal performance" debate that goes on in various forums. My advice to the next guy would be to pick 4 or 5 boxes of mainstream branded hunting ammo in the proper caliber and bullet weight for your choice of prey and see which shoots best for you and keep it under 400 yds and you will be just fine.

Looks like you have a list of great options. Guess you just need to figure out which one your gun likes and go shoot an antelope this fall.

No matter what your research says, your rifle will decide what it likes. I tried 2 other ammo's in my 25-06 before I tried Fusions, and Fusions won out by a long shot. It's hit and miss with everything, so try a few, like you said you're going to, and let your rifle decide.

I agree, but I want to know the actual in my guns for setting my scope's BDC reticle lines.

Do you have access to a chronograph? If not sight in at 200 yards and then move the target to 300 and see where you hit then move to 400 and see where you hit and see where the reticle lines up and go from there.
Are you using the turret to adjust or a reticle like the Boone & Crocket type? If it's a B&C type you can check the factory information and see the MOA drop for each line and then run the numbers and it will give you a close setting.
Either way range time is the only way to be sure and you will also see how well the load and you perform.

Do you have access to a chronograph? If not sight in at 200 yards and then move the target to 300 and see where you hit then move to 400 and see where you hit and see where the reticle lines up and go from there.
Are you using the turret to adjust or a reticle like the Boone & Crocket type? If it's a B&C type you can check the factory information and see the MOA drop for each line and then run the numbers and it will give you a close setting.
Either way range time is the only way to be sure and you will also see how well the load and you perform.

I do have a chrono. Used it earlier to dial in our prairie dog guns/ammo. The BDC system we use is Nikon scopes & spot-on app. Has worked well for other guns we have.

I too often get caught up in numbers, but I think it is worth reminding ourselves that accuracy is paramount. Who cares if a particular bullet drifts half an inch less when it shoots 4" groups at 100. Within the same caliber, all those numbers are realistically the same. In my opinion, you should pick bullets with proper construction, and then accuracy test to find your load. Then you can look up all your data to find wind drift, drop, etc.

Your wind drift max spread for .243 is 1.5", which is absolutely irrelevant. However, you may see large differences in accuracy between the bullets. Wind and drop are easily accounted for...random dispersion of your bullets is not. I'd focus on accuracy.

I'm not bashing your chart. It is interesting and shows a good comparison. I would make your decision based almost entirely on your accuracy findings though.

Last edited:
No matter what your research says, your rifle will decide what it likes. I tried 2 other ammo's in my 25-06 before I tried Fusions, and Fusions won out by a long shot. It's hit and miss with everything, so try a few, like you said you're going to, and let your rifle decide.
I tried the Fusions first and ended up using the Hornady Whitetails in my .243. Goes to show it's up to what the rifle wants.

Pick a soft poin that shoots and go with it. Antelope are fairly small soft creatures

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back