boots - Kenetrek vs Schnees vs Irish Setters

PAWOODS

Preferred boots for Elk/Mule deer - working on gear for next year and would like your thoughts. I know Setters are very accurately sixed boots - an 11.5 wide is an 11.5 wide. What about the other two.

I wear a 15 in just about everything (sneakers, hiking boots) and my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes fit perfectly in size 15. I wanted to try on Schnees boots once when I was in Bozeman, but they had nothing in stock in my size.

My schnees were really comfortable but the waterproof membrane did not last long and they blew out fairly quick. The Lowas I have right now seem to be holding up a lot better but don't fit quite as well.

Went with Kenetreks. I've had Irish Setters but I've got a C width foot so they slopped around after a while. Never owned Schnees so I can't speak for them.

Everyone's foot is different and has different needs. Also there are numerous boot companies out there. Personally I don't think Irish Setters are a good mountain boot. I have them and I love them for work and upland but they lack the structure to handle side-hilling and hiking under a pack.

That being said, many people find what works for them. Some people, myself included, prefer a stiff boot for mountain hunting, while other people like a soft, light boot. Only way to know is to try them out.

I currently have Asolo hiking boots. I will probably buy Crispi next time. I've heard good things about Schnees and Kenetrek, but never tried them.

I have the Kenetrek hardscramble boot and really like them. But I have never tried Schnees to compare, but I do have their pack boot and love them when it is cold and snowy.
John

We went with Kenetrek after watching Randy's tutorial on boot care and foot care.
Seeing what these guys are staying with time after time and them having several pairs tells me they would have switched boots if they were not satisfied.
My partner and I both bought the Mountain Extreme 400 and they feel like they are bullet proof.
Many folks have talked about the break in required in advance of your hunt. (50 + miles)
I have only put on about 10 miles and they feel like the day I took them out of the box and are very ....very stiff....I need to get busy breaking them in.
My opinion is that if my feet get wet or my feet become too sore or become blistered, you are now just camping and trying to survive.

10Dogs

My Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots are the most sturdy, best sidehill and climbing hunting boot I have ever worn. The relative stiffness is what enables the stability on steep slopes. It really helps on snowy mountainsides.

My wife and I just completed a seventy-six mile backpack trip through the Bob Marshall Wilderness wearing our Lowa Renegade hiking boots, which we find to be sturdy and comfortable for hiking trails.

Last pair of Kenetrek of Mountain Guide boots were the best pair of boots I've ever bought. Traction with the viabrum soles is twice as good as the Mountain Extremes, of which I own a pair as well. I have a narrow foot, and the Guide boots fit perfectly.

I also own a pair of Schnees pack boots that I wear a lot in the winter, but they don't give the kind of ankle support you need for serious mountain hunting.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever explain what the real difference between schnees and kenetrek is yet? Other than fit, which varies with every manufacturer, I cannot see what the difference is between their similar model boots. I run Kenetreks and they are great, but can't honestly say if they are any better or worse than schnees. I am curious though as I will need a pair of Pac boots soon.

What about Danner? I think the good Danners deserve a look too. I have tried quite a few boots and I always come back to Danner. I wanted to love Kenetrek, but my feet couldn’t. I wore them for probably 100 miles and the only thing that broke in were my feet. My heels were blistered/bloodied for weeks after my last day trip with them. Everyone’s feet are different, mine prefer Danner. Although the less expensive Pronghorns and similar are good, they make some quality $300-400 boots too. Just my 2 cents.

I've had Danners and Irish Setters, 2 pairs each, none lasted more than 2 seasons. I am debating Kennetrek and Schnees now. More reviews available for Kennetrek, but all are good for both brands. Schnees rebuild is cheaper and I have found no reviews that tell me one needs resoled more than another. Schnees are made in Murica, Montana at that. That tips me a good ways towards them.

After some use, the eVent on Schnees does leak if you don’t keep the boots well oiled. But the new models for 2018 i just saw in the catalog are using a different membrane now, and I’m not sure how the Windtex or whatever it’s called in kenetrek performs.
Kenes don’t fit my feet.
Schnees fit my feet very well and have seemed to be pretty durable. I have Absarokas and Granites.

I've had Danners and Irish Setters, 2 pairs each, none lasted more than 2 seasons. I am debating Kennetrek and Schnees now. More reviews available for Kennetrek, but all are good for both brands. Schnees rebuild is cheaper and I have found no reviews that tell me one needs resoled more than another. Schnees are made in Murica, Montana at that. That tips me a good ways towards them.

Schnees pacs are made in Murica, Montana. However, their non pac boots are made in Italy.
I have switched over from wearing pacs for hunting to the Irish Setter Elk Stalker (?) 1000 gm boot. Got 'em at a hell of a sale price - was skeptical but figured what the hell. I've worn them for two seasons now - only at times I would have worn pacs over other boots - I have been impressed. Warm as pacs, very good traction, great ankle support, and fit my feet very comfortably. The leather scuffs pretty easily so I keep them freshly treated more often than other leather boots I have. I can't speak to their durability, as I have only worn them , again, for two hunting seasons and then only in snowy conditions. I get the feeling that if I only wear them under these conditions, they'll last quite some time. At least that's my claim.......

I wore Danner Pronghorns for 15 years. They were great. I don't know enough about it but the new ones don't last like the old ones did. The soles don't stay attached like they did on the old ones. What changed?

I have kennetreks now and have never looked back. They fit my feet and feel good and are bullet proof

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back