Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hello From The Rocky Mountain Front Montana

Western Traveler1

Found this place while trying to calm the approaching Elk season jitters. A month total to get it done in the Bighorn Mountains split between archery and rifle then home to try to fill bull and cow tag for the next few weeks after that.
Seems like a great group of folks/hunters here and look forward to sharing info...

Augusta is a nice little town that has not changed much in the last 100 years. Bought a saddle in 1971 at the Mannix store on main street. The store is still there and hasn't changed much at all. Will be hunting the Sun River Game range for antlerless Elk (B tag) in late Oct/early Nov. During hunting season there are horse trailers lining Main street and the Buckhorn is packed. You can always get a cup of coffee at the check station on the north end of town during rifle season and the latest on what's going on. Yup Augusta is a cool little town that hasn't gotten caught in the development craze. It is the gate way to the Bob!!

Augusta is a nice little town that has not changed much in the last 100 years. Bought a saddle in 1971 at the Mannix store on main street. The store is still there and hasn't changed much at all. Will be hunting the Sun River Game range for antlerless Elk (B tag) in late Oct/early Nov. During hunting season there are horse trailers lining Main street and the Buckhorn is packed. You can always get a cup of coffee at the check station on the north end of town during rifle season and the latest on what's going on. Yup Augusta is a cool little town that hasn't gotten caught in the development craze. It is the gate way to the Bob!!

Dan, Seeley Lake is pretty nice too! We should talk. I have a cow tag for the Sun River Game Range Nov 6-12th. Well, I guess you would be more help to me than vice-versa.
If things take long in the Bighorns and I hunt through the 30th of Sept I may just stop at the house to kiss my S/O then go straight there and make camp..
If passing through town a person Has to stop at the Buckhorn and order one of their burgers! (Bacon Cheeseburger deluxe for me).
Friendly helpful folks at the Game Check station willing to give out hunt information.

Welcome, I am over in Great Falls and make it over to Augusta frequently.

Welcome and hopefully you'll be posting some photos of elk soon! I'm a bit jealous of you living 30 miles from the trailhead, I live almost 300 miles from the Montana state line and do my best to cross that line every year.

Welcome I spend some time over there as well and have friends there. I love the guy that tries walking from the Buckhorn across the road and it takes about 15 minutes of back and forth steps. seen him on more than one occasion.P7030416.jpg

Thank you all for the warm welcome and wishes. Not surprising so many are familiar with this place, It certainly swells with hunters in the Fall. A fun time to be here. Also nice to see others from this area on this site. Perhaps we will meet sometime, catch a meal at the Buckhorn or Mel's...

Back