Caribou Gear Tarp

2017 sheep

Ahh.... Bambi is skipping some of the best parts.

Like how I was sick as a dog the first two days of the season.

Or how he tries to kill off his hunting partners in the "boulder field of death"

Despite all that, I learned much from him. For instance, did you know you can save significant weight on the way in if you leave your stove fuel at home? It's ok though, because he also left the stove. And the pot. And the spoon. Just leaves more room in the pack for sheep meat. Guy is a master of the minimal pack. Also, you don't need to pack that spoon if you can effectively forage for lost and abandoned ones at the outfitters camp once you get out there. True outdoor skills...

Thankfully there was plenty of springs near the main camp, because apparently the water filter was also deemed "non-essential". But that was ok, because the water bladders got left too.

:D

Sounds like he should of taken that guides job offer. After one season of near killing off clients the guide would get such bad reviews he would be forced to sell those extra tents for income. :W:

Awesome stories and the tales of woe sure add to the hunt! Plus it's funny later on! Next year your duffle might be a tad larger because I'll be in it and will be some of your essential gear. You might as well just get used to the idea now! I can be camera guy, video man, and camp mule.

David

Ahh.... Bambi is skipping some of the best parts.

Like how I was sick as a dog the first two days of the season.

Or how he tries to kill off his hunting partners in the "boulder field of death"

Despite all that, I learned much from him. For instance, did you know you can save significant weight on the way in if you leave your stove fuel at home? It's ok though, because he also left the stove. And the pot. And the spoon. Just leaves more room in the pack for sheep meat. Guy is a master of the minimal pack. Also, you don't need to pack that spoon if you can effectively forage for lost and abandoned ones at the outfitters camp once you get out there. True outdoor skills...

Thankfully there was plenty of springs near the main camp, because apparently the water filter was also deemed "non-essential". But that was ok, because the water bladders got left too.

:D

Haha...lovin' the subtext of this tale.

Really cool hunt story,and beautiful rams.I can't wait to hear more outfitter stories.Bambi,I could swear I seen you over at 40 mile air 4 years back.Do you fly with them??

You're right Yellowknife, a guy can learn what he can live without when he leaves it on the floor at home and has no other choice.

As an FYI, a guy can re-hydrate mountain house in about 4 hours with cold water. I may leave my stove/pot at home from here on out.

I was certainly glad that I tossed in the gallon milk jug of water last minute, and was more impressed it lasted a week without failing.

Filter, smilter... just be glad we didn't have to drink out of mud puddles. Artisan springs are a beautiful thing.

Really cool hunt story,and beautiful rams.I can't wait to hear more outfitter stories.Bambi,I could swear I seen you over at 40 mile air 4 years back.Do you fly with them??

maybe, maybe not...

Can we get the Paul Harvey version? What about your ram?

It takes time to make up stories, and post pictures and put it all together. Maybe today, maybe next week.

Moving day... we packed up and headed for new country. We stashed YK's ram on our way to new country, we'd pick it up on the return, or ferry it back to the strip at some point later. We made it about 2 miles up the drainage and ran into a guide and the "hunting" client we'd met at the strip some 5-6 days before. It was a bit akward for them as they knew they were busted. I can't remember if I asked where his buddy was or not.... Anyway they had a decent ram on their packs and were headed out. We talked for a few minutes, congratulated the hunter and were about to continue on our way.

The guide mentioned to us that he hasn't see many rams this year, and how few sheep they'd seen up the drainage... Interesting, I say "well, we're going to check it out anyway, I was looking for a good one, and didn't really care to just shoot any ram." As we were walking off, the guide says, "Oh, by the way, my partner came across from the other side and set up a camp about a mile and a half up the trail."

I said, "oh, ok, we'll just head up farther." Mile of country to hunt here...

Sure enough we go another mile and a half and there is a green tent set up in the spot we wanted to camp. No big deal, we'll just go a couple more miles and find a better spot with water, hopefully. Water was a bit sparse here, and we were both packing about a gallon or so hoping we could find decent water at some point.

We continued on up the trail maybe a mile, and spot a band of rams. We watch them for a while, and see a couple more, then some more... one double broomed legal ram, one squeeker... then a lone ram on the skyline stood up and changed beds. This one got me excited! He was broomed both sides, with mass for days.

...... sorry, headed out the door to pack for caribou and griz hunt. I'll follow up on Monday.

Good Grief! Its like an old episode of Dukes of Hazard. They'd always cut to commercial when something good was about to happen. I'll tune in next week. Maybe not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back