Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

A recent Backpacking Trip Into the Gila Wilderness

nuevo_eph

I grew up in southern NM (Cruces) and as a boy scout we'd do 50 mile hikes each summer. We may have gone in and come out in different spots, but we always went to the same place: The Potholes. That's our name for a part that is a natural canyon where the water flows through and forms pools big enough to swim in and jump off of cliffs into. It had been 25 years since I've been there but a scouting buddy of mine had recently gone back with his son. This year he brought his son and daughter and I wanted to scope it out to figure out how long until my 10 and 8 year olds have to wait before experiencing the potholes.

IMG_20170803_094425.jpg

Now that I live north of the Gila, sort of, we go in through Aeroplane Mesa and it is only 15 miles to reach the potholes. Doable in one day, I suppose, but 2 days is better. I went in solo, catching up with my friends on their 2nd day of hiking. The scenery was amazing as the area had been getting pounded with rain for the entire previous week. I avoided a few roads that I knew were bad and came through Collins Park (16D), also avoiding a stretch that would have been muddy then but was fine on the way out. I saw one big herd of elk there, the only elk I'd see on the whole trip.

IMG_20170804_111759.jpg

The hike in is fine. I recall we start around 8000' and drop into the West Fork after crossing into the wilderness. You then hike up and over a series of ridges or through gentle draws, past places like Clear Creek and Lilley Park before reaching the view of West Fork (pic above). 15 switchbacks and a lot of elevation loss later we were there. I already wasn't looking forward to climbing out that way but knew I could eat my pack lighter. :) On a side note, read up on Ben Lilley! He was a real mountain man and really decimated the local lion and bear populations around the turn of the 20th century.

As is often in NM, we had the places to ourselves, although there was sign of a large group that had left a mess recently My friend assumed it was the same scout troop that showed up the year prior and promptly camped right next to him despite the whole meadow being available. They even ran through his camp all night and played music until the wee hours. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume this troop was camping but had to suddenly leave due to the torrential rain they had been getting there before we showed up. That would explain the hat, socks, ropes, utensils, and food garbage we found. I'd never leave a site, let alone one in the wilderness, without policing for any teeny bit of garbage. I hope scouts still do today, too.

IMG_20170804_164638.jpg

Before long, we explored the potholes. Damn, why did I wait a quarter of a century?! The jumps into the pools weren't as scary as 12 year-old Ephraim remembers, but the water and slides were just as fun. The main area is 4 pools connected by short stretches of water flowing over and through rocks, often making slides you can easily go down. If you know your geology, you see signs of millenia of changes by the water and it makes you appreciate your brief snapshot view. And probably because the fish were endangered back when I was a scout (I think), I fished them for the first time. It was a blast and I pulled out a few nice rainbows and Gila trout, which you can now legally fish in portions of the state like this one. There is nothing like fresh protein to augment the mountain house, jerky, and granola I'd chewing on.

IMG_20170804_162052.jpg

gilafish.jpg

tanner.jpg

After a few days, we had our fill and had to return to civilization, work, and school. The hike out wasn't too bad as my pack was indeed lighter and we talked the whole way of coming back as soon as possible. Places like this are gem. If there was a trailhead only 5 miles away it would be over run and if there was a parking lot closer it would be a state park. Instead, because of the vision of those before us and the efforts by those that still fight for public lands and wilderness, I know this special place will be here for the lucky and hardy few willing to make the trek.

IMG_20170808_120154.jpg

Note: Our scout troop always hiked in with lawn chairs and my friend and his kids keep the tradition alive! I prefer to save a few pounds and a lot of space by bringing a collapsible chair.

IMG_20170808_131639.jpg

Ephraim

Last edited:
Very cool. You are lucky to have places like that so close to your backyard. Its amazing sometimes how the things we did as kids are still just as fun now as adults. We just forget that sometimes

Super trip down memory lane.

Three fingered salute from a Troop 73, Manhattan KS Boy Scout.

Cool thread nuevo...memories of a mid 60's Boys Club Gila pack in. Amazing place.

Super!! Great looking country. I keep trying for an elk permit for there...

Regarding Ben Lilly; a few years back Sports Afield did a story on him, his brother, and their chasing critters with hounds. This particular article focused on their hunting of jaguars in central/south America. They were some tough dudes!

Back