Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Topo maps

SFN2821

What maps does everyone use for their trips? I have the standard forest service map but it's not the most detailed of topo maps. Any suggestions that don't break the bank?

onX Maps. For the premium membership, it is only $30 per year and it is 100% worth it. Very easy to save areas where you expect to be, and you can easily switch between topo, satellite, and a combination of each. They also have layers with forest service maps, and just about anything else you could want. Hope this helps.

I'm a fan of paper maps, but do have onX Maps, It works good. The newest update they did about a month ago has really improved it on top of what it was. If you want the best 'paper' map, look at rugged maps, water proof, walk on them, use them as a tarp... seriously. I like them because I can get a whole view of an area at once with out using onX on my phone. But like I said, I use both at different times. Also, rugged maps, includes the whole unit, not partials like the forest service maps

http://www.ruggedmaps.com/

https://www.facebook.com/ruggedmaps/

for paper maps, I've heard good things about Omni maps, so I've ordered (first time) with them.

I also have onxmaps and really like what they've recently done with their app. Well worth the money.

I also have an inreach explorer+.

If I still get lost in the woods I guess I deserve to be there ;)

I carry the National Geographic Maps as my back if my GPSor my OnXMaps goes down. Also have looked at the Rugged Maps. They look like good maps. Just haven't found the justification to buy them with my Inreach GPS which is bombproof. Being military I can never give the paper maps and compass.

I just ran across some pretty sweet physical maps on a sponsored Instagram post. Check out rugged maps, specifically their GMU option. I may have to invest in a couple before next season and my first Elk trip ever.

Edit* Doh, I see someone beat me to it. +1 then!

onX Maps. For the premium membership, it is only $30 per year and it is 100% worth it. Very easy to save areas where you expect to be, and you can easily switch between topo, satellite, and a combination of each. They also have layers with forest service maps, and just about anything else you could want. Hope this helps.

+1.
I will some times take my computer with me and use my phone as a hotspot if I need additional info (all depends on the situation and where I am located).

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back