Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

binocular rangefinder combo recommendations

Dakota79

I'm looking at getting a pair of binoculars with a rangefinder in them and was wondering what everybody's experience with this set up was and what they recommended.

Depends on your price range. I recently tested the Vortex Fury ($1200), Leica Ultravid-B ($3000), and Swarovski EL Range ($3300) at twilight. The Swarovski's were by far the best glass. I think the Leica's have more capabilities as far as the rangefinder goes, and the Vortex's we're average at best. For me, I wanted the best quality glass so I bought the Swarovski. If you want average glass with a rangefinder built in, I'd recommend the Vortex's. I think Nikon also has a range model for about $1200 also but I haven't looked through them. I was not at all impressed with the Leica's, but that's just me.

I definitely want the best and try to make them last a long time. How far does the rangefinder go in the models you tested?

Both the Leica and Swaro's picked up the side of a building that was about 1800 yards from where we were. I was in the same boat as you. I know I could save money with the vortex's but I also new if I had those I'd find myself wanting better. To me, the Leica's glass quality was not to notably different than the Vortex. If I had to choose between those two, I would have gone Vortex and saved the difference. The swaro's have the range button on the left side, where the Leica and Vortex are on the right. Might make it a little awkward in bow season, but I plan on carrying a range finder for that. The minimum distance for the Swarovski is 33 yards. You can program the Leica ballistic model to custom fit what you are shooting, down to the number of clicks to adjust your scope. To me though, you give up a lot of clarity and low light performance though compared to the Swarovski.

If I were going to get a pair I would go with the Geovids. Cameraland had a demo pair for $1500 I believe.

yes please let us know, I'm due for a new set and thinking of going this route!

I went with the Swarovski El Range 10x42 last year and haven't regretted them one bit.

I went with the Leica HD-B and have been very impressed with the glass. I had them side to side with Swaro SLC 10x42 and 15x56 binos and felt they were every bit as good even in low light. Everyone has different preferences and their eyes work best with different glass I guess. I had an eye doctor appointment this week and still have 20/15 vision. I don't think you'd go wrong with Swaro either, but the Leicas are darn nice. I own a Swaro ATS 20-60x80 spotter with the HD glass and Swaro 15x56 SLC's also with the HD glass and I think the Leica Geovid HD-B binos are just as good. I had no trouble ranging trees at 1400 yards or more and I once reached a deer blind at 2300 yards. Mine are the 1600 yard rated model.

I really wish Swaro or Leica would come out with a 12x50 rangefinding bino that is reasonably light and compact, uses their top glass, has a great angle compensating rangefinder, and a good tripod mount. If I could buy those I'd sell my 10x and 15x binos and only carry one for everything. I think that would be a great seller with people who like to glass from a tripod and use the same binos hand held. I would love packing only a 12x50 bino and the Kowa 55mm spotter for 90% of my hunting.

Now the question is where is the best place to get them? These will be for rifle hunting only. Thanks for the recommendations and comments.

Depends on your price range. I recently tested the Vortex Fury ($1200), Leica Ultravid-B ($3000), and Swarovski EL Range ($3300) at twilight. The Swarovski's were by far the best glass. I think the Leica's have more capabilities as far as the rangefinder goes, and the Vortex's we're average at best. For me, I wanted the best quality glass so I bought the Swarovski. If you want average glass with a rangefinder built in, I'd recommend the Vortex's. I think Nikon also has a range model for about $1200 also but I haven't looked through them. I was not at all impressed with the Leica's, but that's just me.

What was it you did not like about the Leica's?

I don't have a set, and probably never will. I have used the Leica's that belonged to a friend while on an antelope hunt. Ranged a goat in a grain stubble field at almost 1400 yards. I'd pick between the Swaro's and Leica's. Forget the Vortex junk. mtmuley

I couldn't bring myself to compromise the glass for more money especially when the rangefinder will more than likely be outdated within the next 2 years. I'd rather go with my EL's and a Leica or Sig rangefinder.

Last edited:
I couldn't bring myself to compromising the glass for more money especially when the rangefinder will more than likely be outdated within the next 2 years. I'd rather go with my EL's and a Leica or Sig rangefinder.

This is where I'm at...

I have what is probably a stupid question, but how can a rangefinder become outdated?

I couldn't bring myself to compromise the glass for more money especially when the rangefinder will more than likely be outdated within the next 2 years. I'd rather go with my EL's and a Leica or Sig rangefinder.

I've used several, but only owned one, the Leica Geovid HD-B. I've been extremely happy with my Leica's and have used them in the same scenarios as other high-end glass. They're spendy,but I think you would be impressed if you decide to spend the cash. I believe Leupold has a pair coming out as well.

I have what is probably a stupid question, but how can a rangefinder become outdated?

Considering they're electronics, they are bound to become outdated. First rangefinder I ever had was lucky to range a deer at 400 yards. Then I had a rangefinder that would range deer out to 600 and compensate the angle telling me what I should hold at for a shot. Now my rangefinder ranges deer out past 1200 yards and takes into consideration the barometric pressure, temperature, and predetermined ballistics.

Throw in the warranty on the RF of only 2 years and the optically better EL Swarovision and a light Leica 1600-b fits my preferences more.

Back